We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speaking spanish

Michigan
Level Contributor
640 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Speaking spanish

Ok, how much do we need to know when we go to Bucerias. Do not know much at all, the very basics and how to ask where the bathroom is. We went to PV this past spring with the very limited spanish but it sounds as if Bucerias will be different.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,943 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speaking spanish

Not really different.

Unless you want to deal with people who don't deal with tourists (tradespeople such as electricians, contractors), you won't find it any different.

Have fun.

Michigan
Level Contributor
640 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speaking spanish

Thanks Carey, we are not going until the beginning of next March anyways, so I am going to pick up some more useful words and sentences to use.

Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speaking spanish

You can get by ok in Bucerias without knowing Spanish, but I'd really recommend brushing up on the language if you have the chance before you go.

Most everyone we ran into knew some English, but we discovered (as has been mentioned here before) that the locals seemed to appreciate any attempt we made to try and speak Spanish to them.

My husband isn't fluent in Spanish, but knows enough to carry on a polite conversation. The employees of the resort (RDC) where we stayed would just light right up when he talked to them.

I don't know any Spanish at all past "hola", "banos" and "gracias" so I plan to take a quick course in it before we go back (hopefully next spring).

Have fun looking forward to your trip! Ours has come and gone for the year. We've been back to the "real world" for a week now. :0(

United States
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speaking spanish

I would agree but with one exception. If you are renting a private casa we have found that very often the maid will not speak any English. It has sometimes been a challenge to communicate with them but we have learned a bit a spanish in the past few years...it is a work in progress.

5. Re: Speaking spanish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias