We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone Cards?

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Phone Cards?

I know this subject has been posted so many times. I have searched and I just keep getting more confused. I know not to phone from the hotel. I know to phone from a payphone. I phoned our phone company here and they said to go to Wal Mart and buy a international phone card. I saw 2 different types at Wal Mart, sorry, can't remember what the names where. Has anyone had any experience buying a phone card here in Canada and then using it in Mexico? Thanks for all your useful advise, fellow "Tripadvisors". The postings on this site have provided me with a wealth of useful information.

United States
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone Cards?

You can buy a telemex phone card at any of the tiendas right in Bucerias. I would be careful of buying phone cards in the US or Canada as sadly they often do not work.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone Cards?

I agree with luvthebeach; You can get phone cards when you arrive in Mexico. I don't think the other cards work on the payphones there.

Another option is to have your Family or friends call you in your room. My son has called us in our room at the RDC. We just told everyone when the best time to call would be. I don't not who your LD provider is but we use shaw and have 1000 free international minutes per month. That way we had no long distance charges. Just doublecheck with the Hotel your staying at to make sure there is no charge for incoming calls.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone Cards?

We just got back and were told about using the phone (in booth ) inside the OXO store up the street on the main highway. Met a couple who said it was very cheap to call home from that store. My daughter used the pay phone @ the resort, and alot of Canadians were using it- no problem but it cost a bit more. We also found the internet at Jo Jo's (across from the main lobby beside the time share people)very cheap, compared to the resort. Everything @ Jo Jo's was reasonably priced.-suntan lotion, chips, etc.

Fort Wayne
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Phone Cards?

I would recommend just signing up for onesuite.com before you leave. There is a toll free access number that worked on the pay phone outside the main RDC entrance. It was only $0.189 USD a minute. Then when you get home you can use the rest of whatever is left over.

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Phone Cards?

Thanks for your responses. Great info! Brian Bdb, I did sign up on onesuite.com. Best deal I have found and nice to know it works right outside RDC. Really appreciate you telling me about this!

Sta. Clara
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phone Cards?

You can never get wrong with Onesuite.com, you can use it as a prepaid phone card or as a voip service. Everything can be done online.

7. Re: Phone Cards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 02:21
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias
Recent Conversations