We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$ exchange

Orcas Island, WA
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
$ exchange

We're getting closer to being in Bucerias (about 5 weeks!) and I'm wondering about the best way to handle money exchanges. I've read that ATM's give the best rate, but my credit card company charges 3% per transaction which seems like it would wipe out any good exchange rates. If we bring cash (US)to exchange would that make more sense than using the ATM's? If so, where would we get the best rates? I really appreciate all the help I've gotten from this site!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $ exchange

When we were there last March, I used ATMs and withdrew cash from my account. Of course, you don't really see the rates until you get home and have a look at your account (unless you want to do some math I suppose), but the rates seemed pretty good to me and the charges were negligable. There is an HSBC in Bucerias, although when we went there the machine was empty and the bank was packed.

Afterwards, we used the machine next to the Oxxo near the entrance to the RDC, the one in the Oxxo, or the machine right outside the resort. The nice thing about some of these machines is that they are swipe machines and cannot eat your card.

Long story short, I'd use the ATMs.

surrey eh vo BC
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $ exchange

i agree use the atms but we also take some traveller checks in case of atm problems.cash them anywhere.the best rates change day to day, you have to walk around.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,446 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $ exchange

Actually TC's are not accepted 100% everywhere AND make sure you have photo ID when you are cashing them.

We always use ATM's and make sure we go home with around 500 pesos to start us off right for the NEXT Mexico vacation :)

vancouver
Level Contributor
255 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $ exchange

haha! i took my debit card and the rest of my family brought travellers cheques. when we went to the bank at the top of the hill, it was packed and i gloated away to my family about how easy it was to use the atm! but then the atm ate my card! yikes! no more gloating... ;( . the bank refused to give my card back for security reasons. thankfully we had the travellers cheques to back us up. we found the best rates for cashing the cheques without having to go to the crazy banks, was at the hotel palmeras on the road from rdc to the market. we would just hop on a bike at the rdc and go down and back in a few minutes. there are a number of places right outside the hotel too, to cash cheques or exchange money. the hotel palmeras is on the left side of the road two blocks before the foot bridge. exchanging money is easy... just don't do it at the hotel. their rates stink!

Mitchell, ON
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: $ exchange

I noticed at the airport in PV on our way home a couple of weeks ago that they had a really good rate (a lot better than the hotel anyway), so if you are able to find one on the arrivals side I would check that out.

Mitchell, ON
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: $ exchange

I had a RCMP officer tell me a couple of years ago to stay away from ATM's that are not in banks whether in Mexico or Canada... not the safest place to get your money, and not the most legimated either.

saskatoon
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $ exchange

There is a really helpful post on the Mexico forum from the LAPD

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $ exchange

You can get a really good rate at the Banamex at the Mega shopping center. It was 11.2 for the CDN and 13.5 for USD ..two weeks ago. HSBC only gave you 13.1 that same day. Not sure what it is today. The ATM's are great if you have a peso account but I think your bank will charge you at least 1 percent or more for the exchange.

9. Re: $ exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 03:17