We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucerias is NOT a family welcoming place

SEATTLE
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Bucerias is NOT a family welcoming place

WE were excited to try a new Mexico Destination and I have to say that it appeared that the small town of Bucerias would rather cater to the large number of senior citizens that flooded the town than it would for families traveling with children. We tried to go out to dinner every night to experience what wonderful things we heard about certain restaurants...Marks (we don't mind spending top dollar on meals, if it includes top notch service, however the service was HORRIBLE. We are not impatient people and speak spanish fluently so it was not the communication barrier that kept us from not being treated right. the service was horrible and the food was brought cold and the waiters didn't care to listen to our complaints. Twisted Rose (again when we walked in with our stroller, we had eyes rolling from the hostess and noticed that 4 couples were seated before we were even tho. there was room. Drink orders came 20 minutes TWENTY minutes after we sat down. We walked out after our drinks. La Bruja was wonderful, treated us as tho. we were family and welcomed our children into their establishment. I wanted to comment also that there were several places OXXO was one, that tried to give us the incorrect change every single time we went in to buy something which was every day. Also once when we came home we noticed charges for Lottory tickets we never purchased!!!!!! Also, many of the restaurants and stores would tell you you couldn't pay with your visa becuase "the line was down" so you'd have to truck it to an ATM to get cash.

I wish we had done more research and just stuck with staying someplace in Nueva Vallarta or traveled farther north to beautiful Sayulita or Punta Mita.

Bucerias is not worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Toscana Mia
££ - £££, Italian, Pizza
Sandrina's
££ - £££, Mexican, Mediterranean, Greek
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bucerias is NOT a family welcoming place

I'm sorry you didn't have a good time, but I don't think you should paint the town with one brush because of a few isolated instances. We have gone with our children many times and didn't find at all that everyone was not welcoming. We also have seen many families all over Bucerias. Yes there is alot of seniors as many go for the winter but I can't see that they are treated any differently. As for the credit card, it has been said many times on this forum, that most places do not take credit cards and to have cash on hand. Hope you give Bucerias another try sometime, I am sure you will come to love it.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bucerias is NOT a family welcoming place

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your vacation. Other tha the one incident with "eye rolling" I don't see how you drew the conclusion Bucerias is not family friendly. Bad service is bad service, whether you are a family group or a couple of old folk.

I've lived here over 3 years and have encountered many families, Mexican and foreign, vacationing happliy. Children are seen in every business in Bucerias, short of cantinas and the pool hall.

At Mark's, did you ask to speak to the owner, Mark? I'm sure he would have taken care of your complant. He did not get to be one of the most successful businesses in Bucerias by ignoring customers!

How were the other restaurants where you ate? Where did you stay, how was that?

Again, I'm sorry your vacation had some problems. I hope your next one goes better.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Mark's Bar and Grill
Mark's Bar and Grill
698 Reviews
Bucerias, Mexico
SEATTLE
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bucerias is NOT a family welcoming place

Thank you for your reply. The crazy thing is that we have gone to so many other small towns/large towns in different places all around Mexico and this has been the very first time we have felt like we were treated differently at just about most of the places we went to eat at. It wasn't our wild imagination that 90% of the restuarants we went to sat other people prior to us, took longer to come wait on us and never asked how our meals were or anything!

We observed the wait staff at almost every place we visited just gushing over the tables with only older couples, refilling drinks, bringing more napkins while we sat and waited and waited and waited... The list goes on and on. I will say that the beach is lovely, the beach vendors were very fair and the tourist were kind also. Unfortunately those things listed above just aren't enough for us to come back.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
SEATTLE
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bucerias is NOT a family welcoming place

I am wondering if the white haired gentleman at Marks was the one that told me to air dry my hands when I mentioned that they were out of towels in the bathroom??? Im being serious. He seemed stressed at the time, however im sure someone could have taken the time to refill the container. The place was packed with waiters...waiting on everyone but my family! I know im sounding crazy, but it was as though we were wearing shirts that said "Ignore us!"

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
391 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bucerias is NOT a family welcoming place

How old are your children?

Were they behaving?

(I ask this as I have been in the restaurant/bar business all of my life and sometimes that can be an issue).

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bucerias is NOT a family welcoming place

I dunno, I've lived in Bucerias part-time for about 8 years now and have dined at many area restaurants, most high-end, but some are not. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am a guest in a different country where the customs and even things that happen in restaurants are different than they are in the U.S. (Took me a long time to get used to the fact that the waiter generally does not bring the check at the end of the meal. It is considered bad form and the guests should ask for the check when they have had a little time to relax and chat for a time. Wish I had this luxury back home!)

I've known some of the restaurant owners and managers in Bucerias for a while now and cannot imagine that they would snub a customer or ignore diners' complaints.

Sorry, but it really concerns me when an entire town is bad-mouthed after a few experiences. Perhaps an all-inclusive resort would be a more comfortable place for your family.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bucerias is NOT a family welcoming place

I hate to hear of such bad experiences. I can't explain why you had such a difficult time, I can only relate my own experiences of Bucerias.

We had nothing but great service and our children were welcomed eveywhere including many of the bars.

We had 4 kids with us, The Shamrock was awesome with a beanbag game for our kids. The wine bar across the street served my daughter her pop in a wine glass just to make her feel like a big girl. Our kids were dancing with us at the Twisted rose.

The best was our first night in town and we dined at the Sunset grill which is right on the beach. My kids got excited and decided to jump into the ocean. They were soaking wet for dinner, and our server brought us towels for them to wrap up in. They even let us take the towels back to our condo because it was late and my kids were cold. We brought the towels back the next day and stayed for a couple of drinks.

I love Bucerias and my kids love it, we will be back next year to enjoy again.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bucerias is NOT a family welcoming place

This is my 5th year going to Bucerias. I am friends with the owners of the Twisted Rose and they would be horrified to hear you had a bad experience. Each time we have been there they have absolutely spoiled kids. Most of the establishments cater to the kids as well, it's just good sense that where the kids are welcome, the parents will spend.

We would never dream of anywhere but Bucerias, I hope you give them another try because it really is a wonderful place and what you experience is rare

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
391 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bucerias is NOT a family welcoming place

Question for the original poster:

You have one review at trip advisor and it is to complain about a restaurant.

You have one post at the forum and it is to complain about a restaurant.

What about the rest of your vacation?

The hotel? The rest of the town? Scott's Tours? Is there anything positive you can report back to us? :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bucerias is NOT a family welcoming place

great question Rodeofoto. I wondered the same, and with such extensive traveling reported by the original poster, you'd hope that there is at least something positive posted about some of their travels somewhere. Since our 10 plus years in Bucerias both with family and without is so polar opposite of their experience, I can't help but raise my eyebrows at this post. Sorry youmethem, that you did not enjoy your visit. I wish you would have had a good time. Maybe next time or the next town will be more to your satisfaction. We all deserve a nice vacation, and hope you find what you are looking for next time.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico