We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swine Flu?

Cranbrook BC Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Swine Flu?

Its bound to hit this forum regarding the news about the swine flu. We are heading down to Bucerias this Thursday and with the news here in Canada and in the US getting worse by the minute, we are having second thoughts about coming down. Should we wait a month or two until the news gets better, we don't know. What I want to ask is what are those who live in Bucerias hearing about the flu in your area. Is it over blown up here, or is it worse down there. Please give us your point of view.

Thank you and take care!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swine Flu?

Not posting from Bucerias - but from what I have seen and read on the news the focal point is The Yucatan Penninsula, Mexico City, Texas, and California - so you should be fine in Bucerias.

But who knows with travellers aboard planes etc. etc. coming home from these places.

It is very scarey to say the least.

Illinois
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swine Flu?

It was just on the national news update on the swine flu. Puerto Vallarta and Aculpoco were just added to the list of outbreaks. I sure hope this gets under control because I am heading there the first week of August. Hopefully, all will be fine by then.

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
391 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swine Flu?

I would be extremely uncomfortable going to anywhere that there are people in my age group dieing from a virus.

I am actually concerned just because I was in Mexico in March.

I wouldn't want to go abroad when there is a chance of getting sick (think medicare in other countries) never mind going to a country where the virus is quickly spreading.

Just my thoughts!

washington
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swine Flu?

Three of us will be there on May 4th. We will be staying at the Playa Del Sol Grand for 15 days. I ordered some med's to take with me just in case I start feeling ill. I would like to know about the area there concerning swine flu also. Deloss & Kimberly

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swine Flu?

I have not heard of cases in Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco. There is a very confusing map going around the internet that shows the states of Mexico with suspected cases and it has Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco marked on it BUT the states containing these two resorts are marked as NOT yet having any suspect cases! I think these two places are just marked on the map for reference.

If anyway has any solid information on cases in Acapulco please post the link as I have family there - thank you.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swine Flu?

Dear CanMike,

I live in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico and so far so good!

As of the evening of April 27, the Associated Press reported "...the State of Jalisco, in which Puerto Vallarta is located, have no confirmed cases..."

I recommend monitoring reliable news sources like the Associated Press (www.ap.org), the US Centers for Disease Control (www.CDC.gov) and the World Health Organization (www.who.int) As always, watch-out for inaccurate emotional information.

As you probably know in major cities, especially Mexico City, The Mexican government is treating this as an very important matter and closing public locations (museums, churches, etc.) In PV I have heard confirmation of closing nightclubs and I think perhaps restaurants too. I have friends who own bars, nightclubs and restaurants, but I haven't been out today (Monday, 27 Apr 09) to talk with them to get full detail. I also haven't heard of any hotel closures or the like. If I hear confirmed news, I'll be happy to post.

On April 26, I spoke with my mother in the State of Kansas in the USA and they have two confirmed cases, but have not taken any unusual action.

I have been searching for the method of transmission and so far only found info on the common strains of flu which tends to be getting it on your hands and then introducing it to yourself by touching your eyes, nose or mouth. So..the old advice of frequent hand washing and not touching your face is probably the best bet.

However, like anyone, monitor good sources to make an informed decision. It is ultimately based on your personal comfort level. I am planning on staying put and am not worried.

--Jeffery in PV

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
391 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swine Flu?

I love Mexico and I hope this horrible problem ends soon.

The biggest fear I would have about booking a trip to Mexico right now is your airline cancelling your flight? What about quarantine when you get back?

Now I hear that other countries are banning travel to Canada and USA as we have cases as well. Mexico is not alone in their ban now!

Scarey stuff!

plover, wi
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Swine Flu?

Hey senorita...we'll be at PDSG on may 2-9th too!! What did you order for meds??? You think I should contact my doc???

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
674 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swine Flu?

Here is the notice from the CDC:

…cdc.gov/travel/contentSwineFluMexico.aspx

They are not recommending that you stop travel, but honestly, do you want to take a chance? If your health or immune system is in any way compromised they recommend taking antiviral medications before you go.

Several airlines are offering flight changes for a later date if you have plans to fly....but in the face of a major illness (and being stuck on a plane with recirculating air for hours) I would have to say I would really take this seriously. This is your life you're talking about here, and the projections say it is only going to get worse before it gets better.

The report I heard today said that (for several possible reasons) the effects on those in Mexico have been more severe than those reported in the U.S.

I'm not telling to do one thing or the other, but I am a scientist in a previous life, so this is of great interest to me. Just presenting the facts. Whether or not Jalisco has reported cases NOW or not is irrelevant. It only takes hours to spread.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swine Flu?

The bottom line really is that anything can happen anywhere. I live in Toronto - we had SARS....we couldn't leave, that's where we live.

This past summer we had cold cuts that were killing people.

We had water in an area not too far from us a few years back that killed people.

USA had spinach and tomatoes, peanuts and other veggies in the last few years that people got sick from (maybe died? not sure).

Anywhere anytime something can happen to you whether you are at home or away.

Don't panic. Take a deep breath and be a bit more cautious.

I just came back from two separate trips in March from Mexico, I leave in 3 weeks time for Guadalajra and PV, then 4 weeks after I return from that trip I am heading out to Playa Del Carmen.

So I'm going to pack some extra hand sanitizer, take some masks for the plane and airport (your more likely to catch something on the plane with the nice "clean" air that you are breathing) on the plane I will make sure that my air vent is closed I'll have a drink and relax.

You could get hit by a bus instead. Just joking but trying to get the point across that really anything can happen anywhere at any time if you are at home or travelling. Just be a bit more dilligent about washing hands etc.

My two cents for what it's worth.

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias