We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth renting a car?

Which Bucerias hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
9 posts
Save Topic
Is it worth renting a car?

We'll be staying in Bucerias for a week and can't decide if renting a car will be worth it. We're planning to go to Puerto Vallarta for a few nights and stay late (how late do buses run? How much is a cab from PV to Bucerias?). Also planning to check out Sayulitas for a day. Thanks for your help.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth renting a car?

This topic comes up periodically, and there is a range of opinions about the wisdom of driving in the Vallarta area. See the following links for some previous discussion of this topic:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154267-i323-k30429…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g657267-i12005-k305…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g445056-i9130-k3346…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g679578-i12004-k344…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k360934…

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth renting a car?

One thing to consider is if you will be drinking when you are out in Puerto Vallarta. That would really make the case for NOT renting a car.

If you are only here for a week, I would tend to vote no on the car rental.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth renting a car?

I vote yes. I always rent a car. There's something about security and freedom. If I decide to go to PV, I cab it. No drinking and driving. If I go to Nuevo, I drive. I enjoy day trips to Punta de Mita and Sayulita, but never stay past dark. If I venture south of PV into the mountains, I hire a driver from my rental agency...Gecko. As far as driving goes, just be very, very cautious because the rules there are a lot different than in the US...i.e. exiting right to turn left.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth renting a car?

To rent a car or not depends on what you plan on doing on your vacation. For a week, there is plenty to see and do right here in Bucerias, with an occassional trip into PV. Especially if this is your first time to visit Bucerias.

On future trips, I'd say there is more reason to have a car since you'll want to explore further afield than here in town.

Check on the prices on-line for rental cars (don't forget there is liability insurance you need) and see if you think you will spend more than that on cabs and buses.

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
344 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth renting a car?

We have found that the bus is a fun way to get around. In January we even ventured as far as Guayabitos on the Pacifico.

Denver, Colorado
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth renting a car?

Thanks for the reply! I decided to not rent a car for my first time visit to Bucerias and take the bus to PV and Sayulita.

7. Re: Is it worth renting a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 06:16