We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RDC or condo in Bucerias?

Which Bucerias hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
349 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
RDC or condo in Bucerias?

We have never been to Bucerias, but I think we would like the small town feel of the place, from what I have read. We have always gone AI, until last winter when we spent 2 weeks on Isla Mujeres, and loved the small downtown there with lots of restaurants within walking distance. Bucerias sounds similar to me. I have read the good reviews of RDC, and it sounds pretty popular.. in a nutshell what is so appealing about it. Do people go there and still go out for dinner/lunch a few times, or do they tend to stick to the resort. Would also love to hear from folks who have rented condos, or done both to get their comparison. We are also looking at Suites Costa Dorado. We are thinking about November trip. Thanks for your advice!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RDC or condo in Bucerias?

I would do the condo thing in a heartbeat for a 2 week trip. With the Mega and Costco close by for food, and the restaurants to choose from Costa is a great choice. For one week, it's a bit of a hassle to get the fridge stocked with the condiments and set up the kitchen for an a stress free vacation....but for 2 weeks....no brainer. I toured Suite 701 - thanks to the host who visits here often....and it was perfect.... The RDC for 2 weeks just wouldn't cut it for me.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
331 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RDC or condo in Bucerias?

Hello Shug:

I would vote for the condo route. We spent a few years at AI's in Mexico (although not the RDC) and then decided to go the condo route and never looked back. Not that there is anything wrong with AI's.....we just have no interest in staying at an AI again. Yes, the RDC seems to be quite a popular place & I have had the opportunity to walk by it on several ocassions...it looks very nice but it is just not our cup of tea. However, if you are only going for a one week vacation, the RDC might be more suitable for that timeline.....condos are better to rent for 2 weeks or more IMHO.

I find that when you rent a condo, it feels like it is your own place and gives you an insight on what it would be like to live there. It is nice to have a kitchen, although we mostly just have breakfast/brunch on the balcony wathcing whales. The shopping is a breeze..,just take the bus to Mega & cab back if you wish. The stores stock almost everything we have in Canada & more...for alot cheaper price lol! We usually eat out at night, or pick up a pizza from Yo-Yo Mo's or a roast chicken from the BBQ chicken place for supper and leftovers for lunch the next day. There are so many delish restaurants in Bucerias to explore and I find the food is usually better in general than the fare at AI's...plus it gives you the option of picking where YOU want to eat & when...you are not tied to a hotel or a dress code. You also have the freedom to cook dinners, etc. if you so wish. I find I bring less clothing because we have a washer/dryer to do our laundry. Also, I learned more about Mexico while renting a condo than I ever did staying at a resort. And no line-ups for restaurants or reserving beach chairs. We also have Canadian StarChoice satellite TV in the units we rent so it is fun watching the news & weather back home!! Whenever we walk down the beach past all the AI's....it seems so noisy with all the loud music going constantly and the beach is so crowded....we are just happy to get back to our quiet little slice of heaven!!!

Condo life in Mexico is as cheap or expensive as you want to make it!! Give it a try...bets are you won't go back to a resort!!

Hope this helps you in planning your vacation to Bucerias...you will love it there!!!

TC

Edited: 26 September 2010, 04:17
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RDC or condo in Bucerias?

Trainchick, you are right on the money! I do an AI because I only have one week, so it just doesn't cut it in a condo. I don't want my 1st morning to be a cab ride to the Mega...but a 2 weeker, having my fav breaky on the patio (I eat light and healthy. then .and add pizza leftovers.......) Priceless! Check out the Sunday market in Bucerias for some fruit...

Ontario
Level Contributor
349 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RDC or condo in Bucerias?

Thanks for your insight all!

TrainChick, where your particular condo?

We do only have a week this time, so I have the same concern about the hassle. We would likely only have breakfast in the condo anyway... guess I need to compare the prices. If staying at the RDC is about the same price then it is a no brainer for one week, even if we still go out for a few meals. Can you walk from the RDC to other restaurants?

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RDC or condo in Bucerias?

The RDC is about a 20 minute walk into downtown Bucerias. You will find many excellent restaurant here.

Happy planning!

Surrey, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RDC or condo in Bucerias?

I have stayed at both RDC and Costa Dorada and feel the same as others that RDC is great for one week, especially if you can get a deal. I find eating at an AI longer than one week is hard to do. We do go into town and eat at least once during our stay. There are many restaurants (cheap and higher dining) and just a 15-20 minute walk.

For two weeks condos are the way to go. Costa Dorada was wonderful and right on beach. There is a bar and restaurant (Karen's Place) on site and ate lunch there quite often and of course drank at bar. You will not be disappointed there.

Good luck with your trip.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RDC or condo in Bucerias?

You're right, the RDC is a very popular resort. Most people get such good deals to stay there for a week or two that they can justify walking through Bucerias to try out various restaurants and do some shopping in the flea market. I've heard great things about the Costa Dorada and I love the beach-front restaurant there, Karen's Place.

We had been staying at a hotel in Puerto Vallarta since 1987 and also rented a house twice. We decided to try renting a condo in Bucerias in 2000. We liked the condo so much that we bought it the next year!

There are many small corner stores in Bucerias and Mega and WalMart are nearby. They are superstores with similar pricing and merchandise. Costo and Sam's Club are in the city of Puerto Vallarta, quite a distance away.

I think you'll have a great time, whether you stay at the RDC or in a condo.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RDC or condo in Bucerias?

For your first visit to Bucerias, I'd recommend the RDC. You can still get out and look around Bucerias as much as you want. Then for future visits, you'll have a better mental picture of the town and where you might want to stay.

No matter where you end up, have fun!

Ontario
Level Contributor
349 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RDC or condo in Bucerias?

We're booked! Got an awesome deal for beachfront room at RDC! Did the math and found we could easily have one meal per day off resort and still be ahead, so I think we will enjoy the convenience of no food shopping or cooking for one week only... Google Earth told me that RDC is only 1km beachwalk from Costa Dorados, so we will check it out among other places for the next time.

Thank you all for your insight... we are excited about our trip only 4 weeks away!

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RDC or condo in Bucerias?

Congrats on getting a deal and getting it booked. Now your countdown begins.