We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

american dollars

vancouver
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
american dollars

Can anyone tell me for sure that we are able to use American dollars at the resort? We have been told so many different things and since I am going in two weeks and the Canadian dollar is doing so well, I want to get my money exchanged this week.

Thanks everyone, I just love this forum

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: american dollars

If you are Canadian then why would you want to use American dollars? Change your Canadian to pesos either before you leave or once you're in Mexico.

vancouver
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: american dollars

We have always used American money when in Mexico. Since we live a hop skip and a jump from the border, any funds not used can be spent across the line later.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: american dollars

A much discussed topic with the consensus that when in Mexico (or any other country) use the local currency - the peso.

We use a bank ATM (BNS or HSBC) to get what we need. Just let your own bank know ahead of time that you are travelling out of country.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: american dollars

Due to new legislation you will find US dollars increasingly difficult to use. Many restaurants, gas stations, shops no longer accept US dollars as payment due to limits on depositing dollars. You may not notice a great difference at the moment but eventually you will find that nearly all goods and services can only be paid using pesos.

surrey eh vo BC
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: american dollars

wantsmore we only live a hop from the border and still use pesos only

we just use the atm's down there.just get some pesos at the bank in van or at an exchange place

vancouver
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: american dollars

Thanks everyone, looks like I will exchange my money here before I go.

St. Catharines...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: american dollars

When you run out of pesos, can you use Canadian money in Mexico? or do they prefer American $ over Canadian?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: american dollars

You can just get more pesos at any of the ATM's in Bucerias. If you are at the RDC, there is a bank just a couple of blocks away with an ATM machine. If you are at a condo in Bucerias, there is a Scotia bank at the Mega with an ATM machine. Have used both many times with no problems. Our bank charges only a $3 fee per transaction, so that is less than the cost of ordering them from your bank in Canada. Absolutely no need to do the double transaction from Cdn to US to pesos.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
954 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: american dollars

people have said it pretty good..

we use a debit card at an ATM or bank...withdraw usually around $3000 peso's at a time...that is around $240.00 Canadian..that last quite a long time..

no need to do anything else.. use a credit card now and then...

victoria
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: american dollars

When will this nonsense stop,,, please use the local currency . Its better for them and cheaper for you.. ITS that simple.....

You know for a joke I think I will log on to the Toronto and New York travel forum and pretend to be a mexican and ask them if I should I use the local currency or should I bring up pesos... Wouldnt that be funny..

Edited: 05 October 2010, 03:10
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias