We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying In The Snow

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flying In The Snow

Ok, figures, the first time we plan a trip during the winter, and now the news keeps saying this is supposed to be the worst winter. We live in BC. So I am wondering what usully happens if it snows like crazy the day we are supposed to leave? Do they cancel our whole trip or expect us to wait at airport until we can go? And also, has any of you ever flown in the snow? Is it crazy scary or what? I'm wondering if I should get drugged up beforehand. And need to know ahead of time if I should go visit our family doc to beg for something- flown once before and didn't like it too much. So feeling a little scared of what this acutally will be like.

Black Diamond...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying In The Snow

Well Lizzy, don't know if this will make you feel better or not. Firstly air travel is still the safest way to get from one place to another and North America has the Best airlines with the best records. You will probably be flying out of Van, so very little possiblity of being snowed in. We don't see many storms like that in Van or Calgary and should that happen, you'll know well in advance, to be able to check with the airport before you leave your home. If cancelled the flights will be re-scheduled. You don't fly in the snow for long, after take off they fly above the storm and as you're heading south, no worries about landing in a snow storm. Worked overseas for a year and have flown just about everywhere, in every kind of weather, over the last twenty years, really no point in worrying, otherwise you need to do the same to drive in the city. Medically, I can't comment on the drugged up part, guess that depends on whether you get mellow or hyped up, I'm the mellow type. Don't spoil your holiday, what will be will be.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying In The Snow

Lizzy, relax. I just read some of your previous posts and questions,and I think you are guilty of worrying too much, and over planning!.. Remember you are going on a nice holiday in the hot Mexican sun. All you have to worry about is getting a sun burn. To try and figure if it's going to snow in Vancouver on the date of your departure is, well, impossible. Even if it does snow, they will clean off the runway, de-ice the plane and off you go.

Go, relax and have a good time.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying In The Snow

What speed0 said!!

Lizzy, just relax - millions of people have done this type of trip before, and quite a few actually survived! If you get unlucky and a storm hits the day of your departure, there will be some inconvenience but it will all work out in the end. Do yourself a favour and look forward to your trip in anticipation of having a great time, instead of being fearful about things that have a tiny probability of happening!!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying In The Snow

Lizzyyyyy...my advice to you would be to take a good shot of something stronger than Coke or Pepsi before the flight and let the pilot do the flying. As canadkfw said, once you're off the runway and flying OVER the clouds, there's NOTHING to worry about. The planehas been de-iced, and all is good...trust me. I've seen de-icing trucks from up close and have even been up in one...amazing! They make soooooooooo sure there's no ice left on the wings they even scratch them with their fingernails to make sure. Anyways, RELAX, ENJOY and stop fretting about little nothings. When's your trip planned for ?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying In The Snow

Ok well I'm glad to hear that we would fly ABOVE a snow storm if it happens not THROUGH it. And as for something stronger to drink then pop. Hmm, I doubt they'd be serving anything stronger then coffee in the very early morning..

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
825 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying In The Snow

The beauty of a charter flight (assuming that's how you're going) is they don't cancel. Worst that can happen is a delay. Check before leaving for the airport. We've had many hours of delays travelling to Mexico, but you don't seem to mind it so much going down, it's coming back the delays are a real drag.

I don't recommend getting yourself drugged up for any flight, you need to have your wits about you, but I highly recommend something stronger than pop to help you relax. Champagne (or white wine) and orange juice is perfect at that hour! And they DO serve it at that hour!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
971 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying In The Snow

Lizzy

where you are flying out of?..if it is Vancouver or Victoria... chances will be slim... you will not be snowed in..... I have flown out of Kelowna..10 times .(and we are colder)....never had any issues ..other than minor delays..

an hour tops..... don't worry...the plane inside is warm...you will see the sun in a short few hours and ..actually..once you rise above the clouds.. you will not even be aware of what is below you... except ..knowing ...sun and sand await..

oh yea....and tequila....and cerveza's...

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying In The Snow

Ah Lizzy just know that the plane will not take off if its too dangerous - that's a good thing!!!! Check your flight status before leaving for the airport and if there is a storm give yourself LOTS of time getting to the airport as that's probably more dangerous than the flight itself. Last year, the day/night before our flight we had a really bad ice/snow storm here in Calgary. My husband was working in Edmonton and it took him over 10 hours to get home (which is a 3 hour drive)....he barely had time to pack as we had to be at the airport by 3:00am. The drive to the airport was slow but our flight took off without a hitch. There was another storm in Calgary when we were returning so our flight was delayed and we were stuck in PV airport for 3 hours....again our drive home from the airport was much more eventful than the flight! We travel quite a bit and that was the first time we experienced anything like last year - it was a fluke!

The chances of a storm there are pretty slim but feel but comfortable knowing that is one does happen the airlines/airports really do put safety first!!!!

I have a friend who is petrified of flying and was able to get something from her doctor to help with her anxiety....not sure what it was but don't think it "drugged" her up too bad

Try to relax....it will be ok!

I have a friend who is petrified of flying and was able to get something from her doctor to help with her anxiety....not sure what it was but don't think it "drugged" her up too bad

Try to relax....it will be ok!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
341 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying In The Snow

The snows delayed us 2 yrs ago flying out of Milw W to PV airport, a couple hour delay, the PV airport was notified so when we did take off our cabs/buses etc came back to PV airport for our tranport. Granted it was long and boring sitting at the airport when you're excited to be going to paradise, but better safe than sorry. Believe me once on the ground in PV mid 80's I was very happy to have had my last of snow for 10days.

so long story short, you maybe delayed but they surely don't cancel an entire vacation for a day of storms. enjoy wish we were going back again soon

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying In The Snow

We are flying out of Comox, B.C. I don't really want to be too drugged up either - afterall I don't want my husband to have another child to deal with when we get there. LOL... . But I do feel better knowing we won't be flying right through the snow. Yes we are planning on staying at a hotel near the airport, the night before so we will have all day to get there if the weather looks questionable. as our highway has been known to close for several hours in the past if it is too snowy or icy. Anyways thanks for the answers.

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias