We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian dollars for pesos

canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian dollars for pesos

Where is the best place to exchange Canadian dollars for pesos. Do you have to have an account at a bank in order to get pesos for dollars there.

J&W
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
634 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian dollars for pesos

I would get them from a Canadian bank before you come and use ATM in Bucerias. when there.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian dollars for pesos

we usually haved a few hundred peso's left over from each vacation....

we then...will purchase as needed from a bank machine....that is the easiest way for us...

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian dollars for pesos

For you Canadians out there....I generally buy a whack of Pesos before I go and then I don't have to worry about my card getting sucked into a black hole lol or ATM's running out of money. My question is: Do all the Banks here in Canada give you the same exchange rate when buying Pesos? Or do some Banks offer better rates? I know the Credit Union has a flat fee of $8.00 to order the pesos, but I was wondering about the exchange rates?

Thanx

Edited: 30 December 2010, 16:30
calgary
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian dollars for pesos

I do not like to plug any one company in paticular but I always exchange my dollars into pesos at Calforex. I have phoned around to many banks and exchange houses and this place seems to have the best rate all the time.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian dollars for pesos

Tramples, I almost always use the Scotiabank ATM outside the Mega store. It has "swipe technology", so you don't have to worry about your card going all the way into the machine before doing your transaction. If I absolutely have to use another bank's ATM, I do it during regular banking hours. That way a bank employee can get the card out if it were to be sucked into the machine. I've heard this usually only happens as a "customer protection" measure against ATM fraud. Confiscation of the card supposedly happens when the magnetic strip is nicked or damaged.

I stay in Bucerias for months at a time these days and I just about always use Scotiabank or Santander Serfin ATM's. As a Bank of America customer, I get free transactions at both banks. (Of course, when I'm going back to Chicago, I always bring some pesos back home to tide me through the first day or 2 of my next trip to Mexico.)

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've been living part-time in the PV area for about 10 years now and I've never encountered an ATM that was out of money.

Edited: 30 December 2010, 17:53
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,445 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian dollars for pesos

Credit Unions in Canada don't trade currencies. They use a major bank and take a fee on top of the bank's wholesale fee. Each major city has an exchange service that will beat the bank. In Vancouver it is the Vancouver Bullion and Exchange Service. www.vbce.ca But an ATM works for me.

Edited: 30 December 2010, 17:56
J&W
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
634 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian dollars for pesos

On Dec.22 I got $5600 pesos for $499.52 at RBC with no fees. $0.0892 for 1 peso or 11.2108 pesos for $1.00.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian dollars for pesos

Does any Winnipegger know what our Money Exchange building is called?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian dollars for pesos

Found the name!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
811 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian dollars for pesos

To Senora30, To answer your question, we go to the Mega which is 5 -7 kms away on the bus. We take a copy of our passport with us and the original. We go to the Scotia Bank and exchange our money. We take some Canadian and some US. You never know what the bank will let you exchange so we take both. Many say use the atm which we don't. Some say don't exchange to US but our Mexican condo owner will only take US cash, no pesos, no travellers cheques. With the Canadian buck at par, today I exchanged money for rent and a bit extra. I find the dollar goes up and down but when it's at par, I buy my tickets online and convert to US incase I do an adventure tour quoted in US or do a stopover back to Canada.

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias