We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explosion Night of Jan 24, 2011

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Explosion Night of Jan 24, 2011

Hi,

My mom is currently vacationing in Bucerias & had emailed me wondering about an explosion that occurred last night. Can anyone give me any info about this?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Explosion Night of Jan 24, 2011

I found this on the Yahoo board for Bucerias. It seems there was an accidental fire in the middle of the night that resulted in property damage, and sadly, some fatalities; details still somewhat sketchy:

"It is true. The fire started at about 4 a.m. An off-duty BadeBa firefighter who

lives in the rea was called by a friend about it, was firest on the scene and

called the fire department to report it. It was in the row of vendor tents in

front of Yo Yo Mo's. A ghas tank exploded during the fire which engulfed 13

booths. Three person who were sleeping (guarding their mechandise) were killed

and aat least one person severely burned."

Obviously a sad situation, but not related to any type of criminal activity.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Explosion Night of Jan 24, 2011

That is really unfortunate.

I wonder what started the fire in the first place? Assuming it was a propane tank that blew and not a gas tank. Maybe someone was cooking something?

Edited: 26 January 2011, 00:43
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Explosion Night of Jan 24, 2011

It is being investigated, if I hear anything pertinent, I'll pass it along.

In this case gas = propane, not gasoline

Edited: 26 January 2011, 00:55
Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
298 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Explosion Night of Jan 24, 2011

Was it the vendor huts just before the town square, i dont remember any huts by YOYO MOS, any info would be appreciated as am heading there next monday.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Explosion Night of Jan 24, 2011

The fire was in the temporary sales booths put in place during the town fiesta. The tents line many of the streets in downtown Bucerias during the festival and house games, candy stands, bars, and booths selling all sorts of plastic toys and stuff.

When you arrive next week, there will be no sign of the fire left at all, I imagine.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Explosion Night of Jan 24, 2011

My husband and I were there when this happened. The bomberos did a wonderful job of putting out the fire very fast. There were many of the vendors from the carnival crying and one little girl was shaking very badly (I'm assuming from shock). We managed to give her a sweater and I gave her my shoes as all she had on was a pair or shorts and a t-shirt. It was very sad. It could have been worse if it wasn't for the bomberos as well as the numerous business owners close by who grabbed their fire extinguisher and tried to help slow down the fire.

North Vancouver
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Explosion Night of Jan 24, 2011

There was a huge festival going on in Bucerias and there were vendors set up on every road all through the city centre area. It was a wonderful festival full of lights, fireworks, food and fun. It was horrible to have such a tragic ending. The people here are working through it but you can see the sadness in their faces. For the time being it is a different place.

Black Diamond...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Explosion Night of Jan 24, 2011

As of yesterday afternoon, the street was still taped off no entrance to Yo Yo's or Joe Crows. Fire went through the vendor tents, didn't hear about an explosion, rumour says there were fatallities, can't say if true or not. Terrible ending to the fiesta.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Explosion Night of Jan 24, 2011

There were definately 3 fatalities.

Delta, BC
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Explosion Night of Jan 24, 2011

Very sad to hear of this - hearts and prayers go out to the families who have lost their loved ones and all the people of Bucerias. Very sad indeed.

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias