We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping....Don't give them CDN change!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping....Don't give them CDN change!!

I was at R de C last year and noticed guests were tipping in CDN toonies and loonies. The gesture is gracious, and appreciated I'm sure, but the employee can't cash them in at a bank without a huge service charge, if at all. Leave your change in your pockets. A nice thing to do is to ask your favourite bartender a few days before you leave if he has any Canadian change and offer to exchange for pesos or CDN bills and YOU bring it back. Just something to consider.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,124 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping....Don't give them CDN change!!

Same goes for American coins; they are worthless in Mexico.

Thanks for the reminder, Al.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping....Don't give them CDN change!!

question is ...why would you use anything other than the currency in the place you are travelling...would you give peso's in Canada for a tip?...

nope did not think so...

please use the currency for where you travel....

prince george
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping....Don't give them CDN change!!

The taxi driver who took us to the airport held up a toonie and said that I may as well have it because it was no good to him. He seemed quite surprised when I told him that it was worth around 25 pesos. I took it and thanked him and paid him an extra 25 pesos more than I would have normally paid for the cab. He responded with a huge smile and muchas gracias.

Jim, I couldn't agree with you more.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping....Don't give them CDN change!!

All foreign coins are worthless in Mexico. Banks will not change any of them.

Thanks for posting to alert first time visitors.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping....Don't give them CDN change!!

Jim, because so many places that are tourist friendly do accept US and Canadian dollars, it is not that unusual to think a person would tip in those currencies instead.

As far as the loonies and toonies, I think it is a legitimate lack of knowledge by visitors that coins cannot be exchanged.

Offering the bartenders, waiters, maids, etc, a chance to exchange their foreign coins is a great one!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping....Don't give them CDN change!!

Sioux....I agree....with you as well....but when I went away for the first time to a foreign country....I made myself aware of these kind of things and though many are aware.....I still cannot see giving the wrong currency...but...

US money is usually better than Canadian......in Mexico...

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
839 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping....Don't give them CDN change!!

Good point Jim. I travel a great deal and it's best to use the currency of the country you are visiting.

Greenbacks in the U.S.

Loonies in Canada.

Pesos in Mexico.

Pretty simple really. By the way, has any one else seen the new Canuck $100.00 bill. It could pass for Mexican paper currency. Just an observation.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
817 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping....Don't give them CDN change!!

K-Man I said that very thing to my bank teller when she gave me the new $100 bill, that it felt like Mexican currency. I then went on to explain to her that is because it doesn't tear when it gets wet (while drinking or swimming... or both!) It makes sense that our coins are useless in Mexico. You can't trade Mexican coins in Canada either.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping....Don't give them CDN change!!

I love the new bills..... am looking forward to the smaller denominations

these would be the ones would see or carry... I never have $100.00 bill in my wallet...

but...certainly reminded us of Mexico...

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping....Don't give them CDN change!!

The last time I went to Jamaica i took Jamaican dollars but it was a bad idea. All the prices were in USD and they had to get a calculator out to figure how much local currency.

I wont' take coins but I will take USD and local currency and use what's appropriate at time of purchase.

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias