We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to La Penita by bus.

Qualicum Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to La Penita by bus.

I will be going to Riveria Nyarit the end of January and want to visit La Penita. Was told it was about an hour away by bus. Never taken the bus in Mexico and wanted to know how anyone else made out. More specifically if you have taken the bus to La Penita, where you get dropped off, cost, or any other info you might share. Thanks.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to La Penita by bus.

I was there last Thursday. A group of 5 of us took a cab there....$60.00 one way.. we then took the bus back. It is the Pacifac bus line. it cost $7.00 each. You can catch it in Bucerius just up the hill from the church in the centre of Bucerius. You catch it on the other side of the highway. You will be let off in La Penita at the bus station on the highway. just go straight down the street heading towards the ocean...you can see it from the highway, where you will come to the best market I have ever been to on the left side of the street. It is huge, and is only open on Thursdays. I believe it closes up around 3 so get there early to see it all. When your ready to leave just walk back up the same street to the highway and on the left side corner at highway you will find the Pacifac Bus station. It is about an hour back to the Decameron. Very windy rd and lots of traffic, but also lots to see. Enjoy!!

Just reread your post and see you are asking from Nueva Vallarta...not sure of where it picks you up or off at for that area, but I am sure someone will be able to help you..

Edited: 04 January 2012, 12:03
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to La Penita by bus.

my my ....My eyes are playing tricks on me..lol Riveria Nyarit is also a stop that I am not sure where it is... sorry I could noit have been more help

Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to La Penita by bus.

You can catch the bus in front of the Mega on the main road and it will take you to La Penita.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to La Penita by bus.

BC Intrepid, are you sure? The Pacifico buses, which go to La Penita don't stop there, or at least they didn't used to.

Maybe the ATM buses go that far north now? Or perhaps the Compostela buses?

Which bus line was it?

Edited: 06 January 2012, 04:08
BC, Canada
Level Contributor
185 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to La Penita by bus.

"Riviera Nayarit" Is a broad term - not sure where you are starting from. If it is Nuevo Vallarta, we've caught buses at the "stations" (kiosks really) both in Meszcales and in Bucerias. They run often. Last time we took the ATM bus from Nuevo to Mezcales, crossed the Hwy to the bus stop and about 10 minutes later along came a bus to La Penita (and beyond). (Sorry, can't remember if it was Pacifica or another bus line.) Alternatively, you can get a taxi (at most $10-12) to take you to the bus kiosk in either Mezcales or Bucerias and get the bus from there. Can't remember the cost to LaPenita $5 or $6? ea. A cab from Nuevo to La Penita would cost about $50. (My numbers are always very approx - I have a bad memory and the peso fluctuates - much like my memory!!!) Not sure about the La Penita drop off location - we actually go to Guayabitas and the bus just drops us on the Hwy, when we asked, instead of going into LaPenita. We travel light - no luggage - so it's all very easy. Good luck.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to La Penita by bus.

when we went last week the price was $7.00 for the Pacifico bus, and a taxi from the RDC to La Panita was $60. First they wanted $100.00...but did go down.

Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to La Penita by bus.

It was the Compostela but in all fairness, I last took that bus in 2010.

Things may have changed.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,457 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to La Penita by bus.

I´ve seen Compostela buses, lately, with "Lo de Marcos" which is south of Rincon de Guayabitos (which is south of La Peñita) but never farther north. I´m always looking at the windshields for new destinations. For now I´d stick with the tried and true way (Pacifico, mentioned above).

Qualicum Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to La Penita by bus.

Thanks - that was most helpful.

Qualicum Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to La Penita by bus.

Thanks - appreciate that. The Pacifico bus seems to be what everyone is saying to use.

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias
Recent Conversations