We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Currency or USD

Level Contributor
274 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Local Currency or USD

I have been travelling to the PV and Bucerias area for 10 years now. Normally my husband and I take USD with us, and while we are in Bucerias we use the bank machine to withdraw pesos if we need more spending money while we are there.

Yes I do know that LOCAL CURRENCY is always wanted, but at the same rate I know that the local people have always accepted USD.

I have heard from friends that have travelled to Mexico, both coasts......PV and Cancun, and people have said that the locals are not accepting USD like they were before. That alot of vendors and restaurants are requesting pesos. If this is the case then I will NOT bring USD. I will get pesos.

Anyone who has been in the Bucerias/Sayulita/Puerto Vallarta area lately....can you please share with me your experience.

I am actually a home based travel agent and there are a group of 12, my friends and I going to the RDC in 45 days. We need to make sure that we have the proper currency with us, and I am the person that needs to have this information.

Thank you so very much

happy travels and viva MEXICO

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Local Currency or USD

Where do you live Mich? In BC we can have Pesos (any denominations) delivered by courier and paid for with a debit card. Couldn't be easier. http://www.vbce.ca/

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Local Currency or USD

Yes, there are restrictions on how much money can be exchanged at banks and cambios for pesos in cash, but you can take a lot out of pesos per day at ATM's. If the daily maximum that you're allowed to take out of an ATM is 3,000 pesos, you can go back the next day and withdraw another 3,000 pesos and so on. I've learned here on the Bucerias Forum that even though the machine tells you a limit, it can pay to type in a larger amount. You might get it or you might not. It doesn't hurt to try.

If you're staying in Mexico for more than a week or 2, try to use machines that are affiliated with your home bank so you won't be charged any fees. And don't forget to notify your bank about your trip to Mexico and the dates you'll be gone from home.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Local Currency or USD

My bank does not charge a service fee for ordering pesos. I have them on order by denomination. This is more my tip $$$ as I do not go off the resort as often as others. I did this with euros in August too. Yes you can go to the bank atm at the top of the hill but watch you will end up with large denomination notes.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
prince george
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Local Currency or USD

Ask your bartender if he can give change for larger denominations. He should be happy to do it. If you have smaller notes he is more likely to get them back as tips.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Local Currency or USD

At banks, there is a limit on the amount you can exchange each day. However, the smaller cambio's have no limit so you can exchange as much as you want (they don't give as good of an exchange rate as the banks do however). The USD is still accepted here in Bucerias. Taxi's will only give you a 10 to 1 exchange. Many of the local restaurant will give you 11 to 1 for exchange. In the flee market, it will vary from stall to stall as to what exchange rate they will give you.

In a nut shell, you can use USD here but, like you said yourself, the Peso is preferred.

Have a great trip!

16. Re: Local Currency or USD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2013, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias