We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coins as tips

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
136 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Coins as tips

Hi all!

I know this topic has been covered before, but I think it bears mentioning again. Please do not tip or pay souvenir vendors in Canadian or American coins. That includes quarters, loonies and toonies.

While at a beach bar last night, we were approached by an exhausted beach vendor who, when he found out I was Canadian, begged me to change his coins into pesos ... almost $20 worth. He had more coins, but I didn't have the pesos to exchange for him.

There's only one bank in Puerto Vallarta which will change these coins, and he must spend about $4 for the bus plus a bad exchange rate to do so. Consequently, he makes a real pittance on each sale. Sales are hard enough to get these days, so please remember to pay in pesos. Enjoy your souvenirs, knowing that the vendor can buy some tortillas and beans for his/her kids.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Coins as tips

peso coins are fine.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,712 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Coins as tips

Does anyone know the bank that exchanges foreign coins in Puerto Vallarta? I´ve always understood no one did.

Thanks

Edited: 21 July 2012, 00:02
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Coins as tips

generally banks only exchange notes in foreign currency. Jose the porter at RDC was my first friend there, he asked if I could exchanges notes for his loonies and toonies . Don't know why people don't understand this, have seen it happen in Cuba too. These guys work hard for little money so do not cause them more grief by tipping in non Mexican coins.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,483 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Coins as tips

CTW ---- no, I didn't say that. Misinterpretation.

What I said was that I (just me, nobody else) don't leave 10 peso coins for the maids because I see them working hard all day long and figure it would be a nice gesture to give them something lighter to carry. It's just ME ---- I wasn't telling anyone else not to do it.

In so many of the hotels I've stayed in, I've thought --- wow, this hard-working lady is bent over all day long, changing beds and cleaning toilets and mopping floors and I personally am not going to weigh down her pockets with heavy coins. I guess it's just one of those things where I figure --- hmmm....if I give her 2 coins, maybe everyone will and this will get really heavy after a long day of work.

It's just something I do. Not a rule for anyone, in the slightest. I'm just trying to watch out for the maids who are so kind to me. That's all. I was just putting myself in her shoes and lightening her load.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Coins as tips

That is a kind philosophy marlySF.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,483 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Coins as tips

Apologies for being unclear earlier but it's just something I've gotten used to doing over the years since they work so hard for so many hours (and it's noticable when you stay in the same resort for a couple of weeks and they are being so sweet).

I usually try to use the 10 peso coins for other folks --- but, hey (darn it) --- wouldn't it be nice if there was a machine that would pop out those lovely blue plastic 20's?! It's really too bad that they are so hard to get. This last trip I felt like I was constantly educating my boyfriend on saving whatever 20's we could get, for things like the maid and to have correct change for cabs, etc. rather than, say, leaving them at a restaurant, where it's easy to leave larger bills.

Sorry -- a twist on the original subject. haha ;=))

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Coins as tips

go to the bartenders to get 20 peso notes.I exchange 200 notes for a small fee LOL but we are all happy

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Coins as tips

How does everyone feel about tipping with $1 and $5 USD? I've done this in the past, but don' want to continue if it is a hardship for anyone. I've always done it because it is easy to make sure that I arrive with plenty of tipping money (we tip a lot). Of course, as my stay progresses, I will tip in Pesos as well, but I'd love to hear thoughts on using USD for tipping.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,829 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Coins as tips

To answer post 18: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154267-i323-k3313…

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Coins as tips

Got it - thx :-) I've been reading that thread too. I'm always curious about other input from new forum members though.

I'm taking my 4th trip down to PV (sorry - wrong forum) in a bit and I'm going to bring fewer singles and $5 bills and use the ATM more. As many have noted, it can be difficult to get enough 20 Peso notes and I don't want to be without tipping cash.