We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which currency to use for tips?

British Columbia
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Which currency to use for tips?

We're leaving for the RDC in less than a week (3rd time), and on previous visits we have tipped in US$ paper bills (no coins - see other posts on this forum). Now I've seen some comments that make me wonder, which is the better currency to use for tips - US$ or pesos? I was led to believe that US greenbacks were an attractive currency for the hotel staff to receive, but if it's a problem for them to exchange or they have to pay a fee at a bank, then that's not the message I want to give with my tip. Can anybody inform me on this point? Thanks.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which currency to use for tips?

in mexico please use their currency

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which currency to use for tips?

we use peso's.. that is the currency...so the easiest!

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which currency to use for tips?

Hi and thanks for your first post on the TripAdvisor!

There are varying opinions about whether it is best to tip resort employees in USD (or Canadian dollars) or in Mexican pesos.

My vote is to use pesos for the following reasons:

1. As a Canadian, you are losing money if you have to pay a fee for exchanging CAN for USD.

2. Mexican workers will most likely have to go to a bank or a cambio (currency exchange) to convert the USD into pesos. This can sometimes entail waiting in long lines.

3. For individuals, there is a government-mandated limit of $1,500 per month for exchanging USD into pesos, although there is no limit for exchanging CAN.

4. Currency from outside of Mexico is not immediately useable for things like bus fare and other everyday expenses, especially in the outlying areas of Puerto Vallarta, where many local hotel workers live.

5. It will be pretty easy for you to just use your ATM card and withdraw Mexican pesos, receiving the highest daily rate of exchange without having to go somewhere to convert your money or be subject to a limit of $1,500.

However, if you already have USD and plan to use it for tipping, it will be accepted gratefully. IMO, even a tip in a foreign currency is better than no tip at all.

Edited: 07 July 2012, 21:49
British Columbia
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which currency to use for tips?

OK, pesos if possible. Got it.

How much to tip? is the next question:

-restaurant service in the all inclusive?

-daily maid service?

Is it really true that the equivalent of $1 US is a respectful tip for a job well done?

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which currency to use for tips?

Just apply the golden rule. What about and what will be the impression and the answer and the reaction if a Mexican give a tip or pay in Mx.pesos any product or service in any place of Europe, Canada or The States.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
793 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which currency to use for tips?

I always tip in pesos, but I have been known to ask what they would prefer. If they say US dollars then I give it to them, but most of the time, they want pesos.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which currency to use for tips?

it annoyed me to see usd in the bar tips this year. I thought people would have learnt by now. If you are Canadian you can get your pesos at your bank. I use the Royal Bank and get my pesos by denomination ( tip money). Yes you will see some people not tipping . The workers earn very little so tipping is good, it goes into a jar at the restaurant,. gather it is shared by all. I use 20 pesos per night for the maid, 20 pesos each meal at the buffets and 50 pesos at the a la cartes where they are actually doing work more resembling a normal restaurant.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which currency to use for tips?

When i go to Vancouver I always use rubles.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which currency to use for tips?

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that tip jars at bars often contain U.S. bills that may have small tears or marks on them. Since the banks won't accept them for exchange, they essentially become totally worthless pieces of paper. It makes sense to me.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
808 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which currency to use for tips?

Check out the Pacific coast forums for guidelines lines on tipping.

…tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150786-i45-Pacif…

This link is located on the right side of your screen.

Edited: 08 July 2012, 20:43
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias