We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting prescriptions at pharmacy

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
371 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
getting prescriptions at pharmacy

I always hear that people can get prescriptions a lot cheaper in Mexico. I am wondering if I need to bring a current prescription with me or do you not need one for certain drugs?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting prescriptions at pharmacy

Never bought anything but I seem to remember others saying that unless it is an antobiotic or contains a narcotic, most can be bought over the counter without a script.

Again, I also seem to remember others saying, they were cheaper.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting prescriptions at pharmacy

Antibiotics need a prescription, and many pharmacies have a little medial office on site to give you a prescription.

Whether or not stuff is cheaper depends on a couple factors. If you have insurance, the prices here will probably not be that much of a bargain. The concept of lower price per unit when you buy more is pretty much unknown here - 100 will cost you 10 x what 10 will cost.

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
194 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting prescriptions at pharmacy

I have been taking a copyrighted import called Plavix for a few years and the cost was nearly 800 pesos. A few weeks ago I went into the farmacia in the Nearby Mega store and the pharmacist was kind enough to tell me that the copyright had expired and the same medication( an identical compound) was now available in a generic form at a better price. In fact it was about sixty per cent less. When I asked at the Farmacia Guadalajara they told me that they were not carrying the product any longer although they sell lots of other "Generic "equivalents for low prices.. If you have the exact name of your medication the big pharmacies will have a PDR reference book or computer that can translate the product name but try to be sure you have the spelling correct for obvious reasons. Visitors shopping for narcotic based pain killers will be in for a dissapointment ,so if you take pain meds you should bring whatever they give you at home,Brand named over the counter meds like Tylenol.Motrin and Aspirin are available over the counter.

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting prescriptions at pharmacy

ScottsBucerias and Sioux - Thank you for the information. My husband takes an eye drop for a medical condition (Restasis). There is no generic form of it and our insurance will not pay for any of it. It is very expensive here in the states. We are hoping that maybe it would be cheaper to buy in Mexico. We will go to the Mega when we are there and see if it is available.

5. Re: getting prescriptions at pharmacy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 08:16