We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching

Chicago, IL USA
Level Contributor
342 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching

My wife and I want to go whale watching. My wife can get sea sick. She has the electric wrist bands and can take pills(she would rather not as they make her drowsy) . So can anyone reccemend a boat that is fairly stable? How rough is the bay? Thanks.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching

The roughness of the bay really depends on the day. Many days it is very calm while other days...not so much. If you are worried about getting seasick, you may want to consider a 1/2 day tour rather than a full day tour. I usually don't recommend it as you get more "bang for your buck" with a full day tour however, in your situation, you may want to think about it. Here is a link to a couple of options for you. www.jdtoursvallarta.com/whalewatching.htm

Have a great trip!

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
815 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching

I live on an island in the Atlantic Ocean which required a car ferry to cross for years. I was never seasick once there. But we took a tour on a large catamaran to Marietas Islands in the Bay of Bandaras and I got really sick going out. The tour company was handing out Dramamine to anyone who wanted it (I don't believe they do this anymore) and I took it, it didn't help at all. I was wrapped in a blanket, shivering and shaking, ten shades of green and basically wanting to die. The weird part is, it wasn't rough! Once the boat stopped I was fine. It was an all included snorkeling trip, open bar and food. I didn't dare eat or drink because I expected to suffer on the trip back to shore. I didn't! And it was really rough going back, bouncing up and down but that didn't bother me at all. Weird? I believe it was a side to side motion that got me going out. Sure didn't get my money's worth that day!

So I guess you take your chances when it comes to being on the water. I was on a large vessel on relatively calm seas and got really sick. Go figure. It would be a shame for you to miss a whale watching tour. I'd take the chance again to see whales!

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
198 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching

Catamarans are lots more stable and should be your best bet. Also Dramamine or other sea sickness medicine is normally only useful if taken before you get sick.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
793 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching

That's right...take dramamine 45 minutes before you take off and it really does work. They make the non-drowsy kind and it works just as well. You are right, it's the side to side that will get you. Most trips out are fine, but I still always take the dramamine in advance and even take a dose while I'm out there. RD

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching

We spent the best part of a day on the waters on a catamaran with our own nayarit08 last April-as I was very concerned with the sea sickness possibly ruining the day I took Gravol Ginger based pills-non drowsey and it worked.

Hoping you are able to have a wonderful day on the waters

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching

There is a wonderful seasickness pill that you can buy here. It is called Vontrol and you can buy it over the counter. I take it all of the time and don't get sleepy. Just another FYI kind of thing.

Chicago, IL USA
Level Contributor
342 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching

Thanks everyone

8. Re: Whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias