We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from the Royal Decameron

Which Bucerias hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rock Falls, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from the Royal Decameron

We just got back from a very relaxing week at the Royal Decameron! We booked through Funjet and had the private pickup service through Island Sun. Going through immigration and customs was uneventful. The “shark tank”, well that was another story. The sharks were lined up in two lines one on each side and the tourists had to walk between them. I made the mistake of making eye contact with one of them. He tried stopping me and he became very rude and shouted at me telling me to stop. LOL I kept right on walking.

The Island Sun representative was waiting for us with a cold towel and cold water. The car was ready and took us immediately to the Royal Decameron. Their service was wonderful. We would highly recommend them. Island Sun was even early at checkout and ready to return us to the airport when we were ready.

Once at the Royal Decameron, the checking in was quick. We have gone to the RDC every summer the first week of August for about the past 13 years. Shockingly, according to the bartenders, the resort was filled at about 90% capacity. I was shocked when I saw people standing in line waiting to get into the Fiesta Buffet in August. The food was typical buffet food, but of a bit better quality. The selections were great. Being fussy eaters, we never went away hungry.

The staff was amazing. They worked so hard to make sure everyone was having a good time. The grounds were immaculate. We were in block 4 as we requested. In the past there were beautiful green vines growing all the way up the trees. This year, the vines were in terrible shape. Early in the mornings, there was a worker climbing the trees and cutting down all the vines. When I asked why they were doing that, I was told the vines could not keep up with the iguanas. One morning, we counted eight very large ones outside our window in Block 4.

The Internet did not work at all in the room and our room was right above the lobby in block 4. When we went down to the lobby, the wifi was fast and connected immediately.

By all means, make sure you take in some of the shows at the resort. The dancing was fabulous! Make sure you go early enough or you won’t find a seat. The theater filled up quickly.

The only annoyance at the resort was a few rude and disrespectful young people. Sadly, many times the parents were standing right there with them. When a guard or lifeguard told them not do something, they would stand there and argue, or wait until the guard left and then did as they pleased. An example would be when they closed the pool early on Fiesta night so they could have the festivities along the pool. Some were determined they were going to swim even if they were told not too. Once the guard moved on, in the pool they went! I wanted to go up and smack a few of them. LOL

In an earlier posting, someone asked about the Pirate Ship cruise. We usually go on this tour every year, just for the scenery and we have also become good friends with one of the pirates. Sadly, in reality, this has become a “booze cruise” even if it is not advertised as one. In the past there was a brief history of the ship given, both in Spanish and English. There was also the religious ceremony with the costumes and the fire. This was all gone. Now there are just a couple of humorous acts involving the audience. The rest of the cruise was all dancing, loud music, and a very short pirate show at the end which had no meaning. LOTS of booze. There were some fireworks that were nice. The ship was filled to capacity with all three levels filled. The food was pretty good and the passengers had to eat in shifts. Again, there were the rowdy young people. It reminded me a lot of Cancun. There were also lots of very young children on this cruise.

I was really surprised by the large number of merchants selling on the beach this summer. What was even more surprising, was the large number of young children helping with the selling of the merchandise. I am talking kids in about the 2nd-3rd grade. Some of these kids would push the wheelbarrows through the sand while the adults would cut up the pineapples or the coconuts. Some kids would go around selling candy on sticks and bags of popcorn and other goodies. When they made a sale, off they would go to get the adult who was in charge of the money.

Overall, our vacation and our stay at the Royal Decameron was fantastic, as usual. Most of the employees remembered our names. They made us feel quite at home. We are looking at booking dates already for next summer.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,251 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

Nice report. Glad you avoided the Sharks again.. they are just as bad as all other years ,if Not worse.lol

Montreal, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

I'm looking to go there in the next few days but I just told my mom about this and she started laughing and said this hotel was horrible and it was their worst experience ever. Did it change a lot since 2006?

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

The hotel would have had such high occupancy because it is also very popular with Mexican families. And they vacation to the beach a lot in the summer.

The beach vendors kids may have been along selling also because it is vacation time.

Lakewood, Washington
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

Is Island Sun pick up service exclusive to the RDC?

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

Fred its a good place!!Love the local

Rock Falls, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

I found the service when I booked with Funjet. I am wondering if it is exclusive to Funjet. There is a Sun Transportation. Maybe it is the same one.

Rock Falls, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. We are quite happy with the resort or we would not have returned for the past 12 years. We basically just want someplace to spend the night. Most the time we are out and about the area.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

denilb...thanks for that great report. Glad you enjoyed yourself. And yes...it all depends on what you want for your vacation.

oshawa
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

It's still the best bang for your buck vacation around-cheers

Lakewood, Washington
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

Thanx,I am going to try to find that. Glad you had a good time!