We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucerias for the day

Which Bucerias hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bucerias for the day

We are staying north of Bucerias but want to take an afternoon to do some shopping and have a late lunch on the beach. We may need to travel up to the Mega to purchase incidentals, then back to the flea market and hopefully some fish tacos and cervesas.

Do you think it will be necessary to rent a car for the day, or would taking a cab to Mega, back to the beach and then finally back to the resort at the end of the day make more sense? If we go the car route, where do we park at the beach?

I've also read some reviews mentioning being bothered by vendors while eating. Are there particular beach restaurants where this wouldn't be an issue? Are there specific days to avoid the flea market because they are busier than others?

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
355 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bucerias for the day

I don't think you will need a car for the day. I would take a bus to Bucerias and at the end of the day take a bus to Mega for your groceries and then cab back to your hotel. The bus service is cheap and easy. If you do rent a car, I think you can park on a side street but I'm not sure the rules for parking there.

I have eaten at quite a few of the beach restaurants and vendors will come up to sell things. A polite "No gracias" is all you need to say and they will not bother you. Personally they do not bother me and I don't find it annoying as I realize they are trying to make a living. If they are headed your way, you can always just shake your head no and they keep on walking.

Have fun. You will love Bucerias.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bucerias for the day

With regard to the car issue, it depends on where you're staying, how many of you there are, what else you might want to do while you have it (e.g. head up to Sayulita and/or El Anclote), etc. The bus could be another option for getting to the Mega, with a taxi thereafter if you're loaded down with groceries. If you end up going the car route, there's plenty of on-street parking available in Bucerias around the town square, as well as on the street that runs parallel to the beach.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bucerias for the day

Lots of great spots on the beach in Bucerias!!

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
766 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bucerias for the day

EvaJazz,

I always have a rental car. If you feel comfortable and have experience driving there, go the car route. You will enjoy the freedom and parking is usually not a problem anywhere you go. By the time you take cabs and buses throughout the day, you will end up spending just as much as a car and you won't have the convenience. If you rent from Gecko, they will give you their cell phone numbers in case you have any trouble along the way. Have fun!

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bucerias for the day

Thank you all for your suggestions, they've been a great help. I think I'll let my husband decide if he wants to go the car route or not, as it will also mean he has to keep the margaritas to a minimum, lol.

If you were to stop at the end of your day on the beach for a late lunch, say 2-3pm for drinks on the beach and maybe a few appetizers to share, where would you go? We enjoy our seafood but won't need a lobster dinner. Fish tacos, shrimp, maybe some guac and chips. Any suggestions? I've read up on a handful of places, Breakers, Adauto's, Mar y Sol, any pros/cons for them?

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
355 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bucerias for the day

Mar y Sol has good food but watch out for their margaritas. They are really strong and will sneak up on you. lol We really like El Chivero because the guys working there are so nice. We like El Brujo too. I think you will enjoy any of the beach restaurants with the exception of the big orange one. We have not had good experiences at that place.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bucerias for the day

Although I live in Bucerias part-time, I'm not a beachgoer, so I don't go to beach restaurants/bars very often, but I'll make an exception for Breakers and Karen's Place. Breakers is on several levels and you can eat and drink inside or out. Karen's is more upscale. It has a small dining room overlooking the bay and they serve on the beach, too. It's on the Costa Dorada building's property and it also has a bar with Happy Hour next to the complex's pool.

My feeling with driving is that if you're a newcomer to the area, take the bus or splurge on a taxi so you can sit back and enjoy the gorgeous scenery as you're riding through the mountains and you don't need to be concerned about whether or not you should have a couple of drinks. Believe me, you don't want to end up in jail on a DUI/DWI charge.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bucerias for the day

Elenamex, since Karen's is a little further up the beach, would that eliminate some of the vendors? I'm assuming it's a reasonable walking distance, I'm having some issues getting my bearings as to where everything's located.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bucerias for the day

wikimapia.org/…b

Here is an overview map of Bucerias. Scroll down to see Karen's. Everything in Bucerias is within walking distance. The vendors at the beach bars aren't that bad. A simple No Gracias will do, and they are on their way. Not pushy at all.

Edit to say: El Brujo is now located where Sunset's was previously, and the one labeled Encore is really Breakers.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 20:22
Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bucerias for the day

Thanks to Alberta-traveler. (Sorry I didn't post this earlier.)

Tell your bus or taxi driver that you want to get off at El Centro, the town square with the church in the middle. When you walk from the highway toward the beach, Breakers is a few blocks to your right, on Avenida Pacifico and Karen's is several blocks to your left, on Lazaro Cardenas at Benito Juarez. Both AP and LC run parallel to the beach. Karen's is sort of on a platform, up against the beach. Most beach restaurants frown on vendors coming inside to approach patrons. (When you're sitting on the beach, you're fair game, though.) When you walk in either direction on or near the beach, you will see many other restaurants/bars that you may want to look into.