We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Mole

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
216 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Good Mole

Will be arriving in 17 days!! I've always wanted to try a mole dish, where do you recommend I go for this?

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Mole

Best mole is Oaxacan style. If you ever get to Austin, Tx go to El Naranjo. Run by Illiana de la Vega. One of the best mole chefs from Oaxaca.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
216 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Mole

Thanks 103, I'll remember that if I ever go to Austin, but do you know of any in Bucerias?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Mole

I tried it at rosa's Mexicano in bucerias. It was really delicious I had never tried it before and was uncertain if I would like it but the waiter brought me a small bowl with some chips to try before I ordered. So glad he did it is definately one of my favorite dishes now.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
216 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Mole

Awesome Shasta, thank you! Rosa's in on my list, and I will definitely ask for a sample first too ;)

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Mole

If you like to cook, the grocery stores sell mole sauces by the kilo in the deli area. There are many different types of mole sauces.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
216 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Mole

Thanks Sue, I think I want to experience it at a restaurant, the one I am looking forward to trying is the dark one, I think it has chocolate in it???

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Mole

Chocolate is Oaxacan style. Mexican cooking chocolate isn't like eating a sundae. High end Oaxacan chocolate can be made with little or no sugar. Some moles are very complex with lots of ingredients.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Mole

My chile can get complicated!! Lol

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Mole

There are many different types of mole, this article is very informative.

foodrepublic.com/2012/08/15/7-moles-oaxaca

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
216 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Mole

Great article, I had no idea there were so many different kinds! I think I would most enjoy the Negro. This trip is going to be all about eating....and cocktails of course ;)

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias