We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtles Near RDC

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Turtles Near RDC

Hello Tripadvisors!

I was reading the forums about things to see and do around the RDC and saw this thread about turtles nearby.

>> tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g657267-i12005-k584…

Has anyone been to the RDC lately and seen or heard about any turtle activity?

Many thanks!

BC
Level Contributor
294 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtles Near RDC

We were at the Occidental Grand in Nuevo last year, end of november. The turtles just started popping up out of the sand 10m from us. And yes sucurity was there in a flash. They pulled 100 out of the sand. 96 survived. A guy in a quad came up the beach and took them to the sancuary up the beach (about 3-4 hotels to the north). At sunset they release them into the ocean. Don't know wthat the place is called but it was pretty cool. I imagine you would have to cab it there from RDC. Probably too far too walk. Just checked google earth. It is 5.85 KM from RDC to the reserve (south) along the beach.

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
188 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtles Near RDC

There is some turtle activity still regarding egg-laying at night, That typically ends at the end of the rain season-in just a more weeks few weeks. The entire beach is prime area for turtle nesting. The university and conservation groups provide staff to manage two beachfront safe havens for the turtles when they hatch. These realeases are done in the early evening and coducted by a couple tours accompanied by biologists. An optional crocodile tour is offered for people who want to see the Quiele Lagoon estuary near Bucerias and Nuevo.The lagoon is a famous habitat for a varity of birds as well. Hard to believe this all takes place just a few miles from the resort zone! Yes there are even crocodiles on the golf course next to the lagoon on just a few holes. Turtle release take place at the south end of Nuevo Vallarta before you get to the end of the beach. Its about a half mile before the breakwater and just before the Hardrock cafe,. Guided turtle releases will finish by the end of January. Between being collected and hatched the turtles

have been fed,grown to a safer size and systematically been released in the dark where they have a greater chance of survival. The turtles being released are the large Green Ridley turtles. You can also see them by boat to the Marietas Islands Wild Life Reserve. A few whales have been spotted in the last few days- very small numbers. Look for the whale watching season in mid December.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtles Near RDC

The turtle sanctuary is in front of the Ocean Terrace condos, between Luma and Bahia del Sol

Alberta
Level Contributor
325 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtles Near RDC

We went to the turtle release twice a couple of years ago and it was great. You gave a five dollar donation to get in and they spent 10 minutes informing the audience about the turtles and why they are being protected and then they take then to the water. Everyone gets a turtle and lines up along the beach. and releases them. If there is a big audience or fewer turtles, they just give turtles to the kids. They try to keep everyone behind the big line of people so no turtles get stepped on. It really is something. As a comparison, we paid probably 75 bucks each to go to a turtle sanctuary in Manzanillo about 5 years ago and did pretty much the same thing. For the price and the experience it really is a should see.

Toronto
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtles Near RDC

we are going to RDC from Nov 27 - Dec 4. it is our 1st time to this area of Mexico & we are very excited !!

Will there be Turtle activity at that time, does anyone know?

Also, in the above post, it mentions at the Turtle sanctuary, that everyone gets a turtle and lines up along the beach and releases them. Does anyone know if this is still done?

we are huge animals lovers , and we would love to experience something like this.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtles Near RDC

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154267-i323-k78223…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtles Near RDC

Hi there,

I thought I would just close the loop on this message and let you know what we ended up doing while we were at the RCD last year, since you asked.

We were able to book an afternoon/early evening tour through our resort and I can't remember how much it cost, but from memory it was around CAN$90. It was well worth it. Unfortunately I can't remember who the tour operators were either, but it was a local conservation group rather than a 'tour' group per se, and my friend and I ended up being the only people who booked the tour that day, so we got a personalized tour! It was fabulous.

First we met the tour guides (who were university-educated conservationists) at the intersection with the main highway outside of the RDC, and then we went on a drive to a crocodile sanctuary park. Here we saw a variety of rescued animals, including crocodiles, and baby crocodiles. The guides were really patient and explained about the relevance of this sanctuary to the local area, and gave us lots of really interesting and on-point information. Then we sat in an open hut with beers while we watched a video about the turtle program they have along the PV coast there, and that was great. From there we drove to Nuevo Vallarta and they have the turtle hatching program there.

By this time it was dark and we were brought a bucket of about 12 baby turtles that had just hatched that day. The guides said that releasing the turtles at night increased their chances of survival as the birds aren't around to peck them out of the sea. Some other guests at the resort said there were baby turtles hatching down the beach but the birds were taking them which was sad to see, but the circle of life, I suppose!

Anyway, we got to hold the baby turtles and have our pictures taken with them, and then we used a torch to help encourage them towards the sea - they knew instinctively to follow the light. We saw other groups of about 15-20 people doing this and I can't imagine they had the personal experience that we did.. It was fabulous, truly a highlight of our trip. A couple of people wandering along the beach saw us and came and joined in - this was kind of annoying since we were on a tour that we paid for, but since it was just my friend and I it was fine, and there was plenty of room for everyone to see and participate and it didn't ruin our experience. At this point our guides were great and took our cameras so we could be in the photos with our turtles. This tour was so special because we were allowed to hold them and get up close, but it was very educational, too. I imagine they are still doing this - I can't see why not!

We were in PV at the beginning of November, so I can't speak to the timing of your trip, but we were definitely able to have this experience at the start of November, and I'm sure your resort will have an option like this on offer.

Toronto
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtles Near RDC

hi Racy,

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!!

your experience sounds absolutely wonderful !

wow, I really appreciate the great details that you put here.

we are so excited to go to this part of Mexico, and I hope to experience something like you did.

thanks again.

9. Re: Turtles Near RDC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias
Recent Conversations