We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stingray and jelly,s.

Which Bucerias hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barrow-in-Furness...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
stingray and jelly,s.

Booked a 2 week holiday in june 2014, But just read that there,s stingray and jellyfish in the sea. Is this a seasonal thing ? Because if anything bite,s or stings it,ll eat the wife.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stingray and jelly,s.

You never know.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
735 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stingray and jelly,s.

Just do the Bucerias shuffle when entering the ocean. Wear water shoes and slide your feed across the bottom then swim out. Jelly fish are as yaz08 says, You never know.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,702 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stingray and jelly,s.

Welcome to trip advisor.

Jelly fish move with the tide so they can be there one day and gone the next. No predicting them.

As far as the rays, do as suggested and shuffle your feet and they will swim away.

If there are numerous sightings, the resort will post a red warning flag on the beach.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stingray and jelly,s.

Another tip is to swim where there are already lots of people in the water, the rays will have been already scared away. They seem to hide in the sand more at low tide, and yes jelly fish are unpredictable but you can usually see them.

duncan, bc
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: stingray and jelly,s.

I've actually gone looking for the rays in the ocean in front of the RDC because I do a lot of scuba diving and they aren't in my area. Never saw one in 4 years. Jelly fish ? - they are worldwide, but easy to spot.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
914 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stingray and jelly,s.

Never mind jellyfish (no big deal...it's the Portuguese man-o-war you'd need to worry about. What freaked me out in Bucerias was the snake/eel things that like to ride in on the waves and burrow into the sand. Nobody has ever been able to sufficiently explain those to me....I'm just hoping they don't like the beach in Rincon.

Saint Clair Shores...
Level Contributor
89 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stingray and jelly,s.

We ran in to the man-o-wars a lot in Hawaii and they usually burrow under the sand but leave a blue like bubble on the surface of the sand. The tail can extend from afew inches to a foot or more. I was advised not to step in front of or behind the bubble. Eco correct or not my husband used to hit the bubble with a hand made cane and burst them. Don't know if this is what your talking about or not but locals told us they have one hell of a sting from the tails.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stingray and jelly,s.

Stingrays are no big deal they will not bother you as you don't bother them. I have fed Stingrays with my hand. In all the years I have gone to Bucerias I have never seen 1. As for Jellyfish. I also have never seen 1.Does not mean they can't be there but I would not worry.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stingray and jelly,s.

3 people were hit by sting rays in front of the RDC in one day while I was there in November. Apparently there is a shot they were treated with? It was $300.00. It was enough to keep me out of the ocean that day ;-)

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stingray and jelly,s.

How do you get hit by a Stingray? They have one stinger on there tail, they use they lose it.

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias