We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of Feb Trip at RDC planned any tips welcome. TIA.

Which Bucerias hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
End of Feb Trip at RDC planned any tips welcome. TIA.

Hello,

My friend and I have planned a girls only trip to RDC End of Feb as our husbands are going on a ski trip together, so we decided we need a girls trip.

Wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for 2 late 30's friends to do in Bucerias. We are not huge partiers but love to have a few drinks and enjoy relaxing in the sun on the beach. Would be willing to venture out a little bit but probably not far. Sort of on a budget. I have been reading reviews and have a few ideas already. Would love any other suggestions someone can provide. My expectations of RDC are not high as I have read the amenities are pretty basic, but all we really wanted was a good beach with some variety of restaurants and a balcony off our room to sit out at night and have a few cocktails.

Suggestions for good beach bars we could walk to and just hang out and not be harassed about timeshares?

Any decent priced tours? I have been whale watching in Maui before and loved that.

Tips on good places to buy some alcohol for our room?

What would be the best block for us to request? Would love Ocean view if we could get it, but I read Block one is a little noisier and the rooms were a little dated and the balconies were shared is this true? If so can anyone shed light on Block 5 (adults only) and Block 2? Should we email in advance to try to reserve this or will it be okay to ask upon check in?

We booked through Apple Vacations. I am excited to visit it seems the little town of Bucerias is just what I was looking for - quaint and quiet.

Saint Clair Shores...
Level Contributor
89 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of Feb Trip at RDC planned any tips welcome. TIA.

Spent a week there last year. My only suggestions would be to make a friend of one of the bartenders at the beach bars at the resort (a nice little tip would help) and you'll be set up for the week. Learn his name and you've pretty much got it made. They remember your drinks and make them pretty potent. Go down the beach towards Bucerias and stop at some of the beach bars, which ever one hits your fancy. They all are pretty good, reasonably priced and fun to sit and watch the action the on beach. I would suggest Scotts tours for anything you want to book. Good guy, he's an expat and knows his stuff. Make your reservations as early as you can for the restaurants at the resort, there's usually a line depending on when you get there in the morning. After the first day you should have the lay of the land as far a getting around. Have a great time.

MN
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: End of Feb Trip at RDC planned any tips welcome. TIA.

Thank you Tina!!! I have been to Cancun several times and Cozumel once and we always tip so that was already a given. Question: can we tip with American bills or do they prefer pesos? I know in Cancun it is not a problem to tip in American bills but I have not been to the Pacific side in 14 years.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of Feb Trip at RDC planned any tips welcome. TIA.

Use pesos, if you can. Some banks no longer exchange USD for pesos and dollars can't be used by resort workers to pay for things like bus fare and utility bills or for purchases at small stores and other businesses in non-tourist areas, where most of the resort workers live.

I think you'll really enjoy your vacation in Bucerias!

MN
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: End of Feb Trip at RDC planned any tips welcome. TIA.

Where can I exchange my money for pesos? Not sure I could find a place here in South Dakota before I leave. Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Saint Clair Shores...
Level Contributor
89 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: End of Feb Trip at RDC planned any tips welcome. TIA.

Usually your bank can do that ahead of time for you. If not there are money exchanges in Bucerias. Ask at the hotel or better yet one of the bartenders which one would be best. I've never used the ATMs so someone else will have to advise you on that. Been going to Cozumel the last few years and never had a problem finding money exchanges. Just watch your rates, they go up and down.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: End of Feb Trip at RDC planned any tips welcome. TIA.

You can exchange USD to Peso at the RDC. However, yesterday they were only giving 11 to 1 exchange which isn't very good. I would suggest to walk north on L. Cardeñas about 4 blocks and exchange money at JD Tours. He was giving 12.5 to 1 the other day when I walked past. You can also book any excursions with him and you are guaranteed the best price without any timeshares. Whale watching is fantastic at this time of year. I go a few times each season. My favorites are Shamballa, Bahia Alegre, Geronimo. You can find more information at this link: http://www.bestofbucerias.ca/index.html .

If you wish to use an ATM, you can walk east up the hill on Las Palmas to the Bancomer Bank. Just let your bank at home know you are going on vacation to Mexico so they will allow your card to work out of your country.

My favorite beach bars are: Mar y Sol, Breaker's, and El Gordo. All are resonably priced for buckets of beer. They are all located on Ave. Pacifico. Just walk north on the beach and you will eventually run into them. I would stay away from Adrianno's (big orange building) as they are a timeshare restaurant.

Alcohol for your room can be purchased at Beto's mini super. To get there from the RDC: walk east up the hill on Las Palmas, turn left at the highway (don't cross the highway), and walk north about 2 blocks.

I used to stay in block 5 all of the time when I stayed at the RDC. However, my family is currently staying in Block 3 and they love it. Ocean view, elevator to the rooms, and central location.

Have a great trip!

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
556 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: End of Feb Trip at RDC planned any tips welcome. TIA.

Been there 2 years in a row and the second time there we asked for building 2 again, 3rd or 4th floor center of building. Great view of the activities pool and the flamingos buffet and of course the ocean.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: End of Feb Trip at RDC planned any tips welcome. TIA.

I always stay in Building 2.....I'll be there Feb 18-March 4, See you then!!

MN
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: End of Feb Trip at RDC planned any tips welcome. TIA.

Thanks everyone! I'll see if any of the banks here will exchange my money for pesos, but I am in South Dakota small town and I don't know if they will even have those funds on hand. If not I'll go to that tour shop you all listed adn check it out! Can't wait to go and lay on the beach - My main objective!

Leah

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: End of Feb Trip at RDC planned any tips welcome. TIA.

I don't think any banks have peso's "on hand". Heck I live in Canada and get peso's at my bank!! They order them in so it takes a week or so....