We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to book, Rancho Banderas or VdP Flamingo

Which Bucerias hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Monterey, California
Level Contributor
654 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Where to book, Rancho Banderas or VdP Flamingo

We are thinking of booking a week, at the end of Sept. at either Rancho Banderas all Suite or VdPFlamingos. Does anyone have preferences, opinions, suggestions or insight to share? (We will be spending a week or two in, Old Town, after our stay at the north end of the bay.)

We do not want to buy an all inclusive plan at either resort and wonder about the proximity of each place to a walkable town. It looks as though we could walk to Bucerias, from Flamingos, but is it possible to walk to anything, from Rancho Bandera?

Also, we would rent a car for a part of this week so we could explore Sayulita and any other "not to be missed places" at this end of the bay. We have been advised to use Gecko, for the car rental, so will do.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to book, Rancho Banderas or VdP Flamingo

Rancho Banderas is on a beautiful beach, but quite isolated. There would be nothing within walking distance. The closest town would be la Cruz.

Riviera Nayarit...
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to book, Rancho Banderas or VdP Flamingo

Since the VDP Flamingos is located in Nuevo Vallarta, you will probably get more answers if you ask your question on the NV forum, too.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
654 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to book, Rancho Banderas or VdP Flamingo

Elenamex,

I did ask on the NV, forum...to no avail. Then decided to post it on the Puerto Vallarta forum, for their thoughts on the matter.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to book, Rancho Banderas or VdP Flamingo

we own a 2br unit at vdpf and stayed at rancho banderas in November for a change of pace. Both have things to offer depending on your preferences. there is nothing walkable from rancho banderas but I wouldn't let that deter you. personally I find the walk to bucerias from vdpf to be hot and I'm a walker. feel free to ask any specific questions you may have.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 17:09
Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to book, Rancho Banderas or VdP Flamingo

I also have detailed reviews of both resorts listed with TA. vdpf's is a little older.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
654 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to book, Rancho Banderas or VdP Flamingo

Thank you.

Maryjo34-Thanks for leading me to your post, comments and reviews. I am now thinking that we may choose Flamingo and do a day trip to Rancho Banderas area. How far are these two resorts apart from each other? Just curious.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to book, Rancho Banderas or VdP Flamingo

Probably half hour drive as Rancho Banderas is between La Cruz and Litibu turn off. Gecko are certainly the people to see for renting a vehicle. No hidden costs for extras as everything is included as far as Insurances are concerned.

Wellington, Kansas
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to book, Rancho Banderas or VdP Flamingo

We are staying at the Villa Del Palmar Flamingos at the end of May. Looks beautiful!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to book, Rancho Banderas or VdP Flamingo

Villa del Palmar Flamingos is quite beautiful ---- and it's not that old, so I wasn't sure about that comment above.

When I bought there in 2007, VdP Flamingos was fairly new and Rancho Banderas was established (and out in the boonies and someone I met who was going there that year figured they'd made a mistake in booking there). Obviously the boonies has filled in since. Rancho Banderas is not quite so isolated now (and may have had more construction on site in the past 7 years ---???....I don't know) but if VdP Flamingos is a little older as mentioned above, it could not possibly be more than a year.

Just wanted to be clear on that, in case anyone is making a decision based on posts in this thread.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to book, Rancho Banderas or VdP Flamingo

you misread...my review of vdpf is older than my review of rancho banderas.