We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquor at RDC.

Victoria B.C.
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Liquor at RDC.

Probably a stupid question as I did read that the RDC does not serve top shelf liquor but? I was wondering what brands beer are available and also if there is a particular tropical drink they excel at. Also,I love a nightcap of either Kahlua over ice or a Kir with creme de cassis. Would they be available. Or, if anyone has a suggestion for a yummy " girlie" drink I would love it. Only 23 days until our first visit to RDC. We have stayed in PV before. Thanks everyone.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
937 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquor at RDC.

I was there a few years ago, so not so up to date but I can tell you they did have a kalhua type substitute, though no Irish cream. The beer at the time was sol from large bottles, but I believe that's changed. At any rate, hubby brought a collapsible cooler, filled it with ice from the bar and bought his own bottled beer from the OXXO up the road (super cheap), because the beer was not to his liking. The drinks were all very sweet and I honestly didn't care for them. A mojito, for example, was made with a flavoured syrup instead of fresh mint (yuck!!)....they did have blended drinks (slushy style), if you like those. I discovered the tequila paralyzer, which was ok tasting, but otherwise it just wasn't a holiday where I enjoyed the drinks, and was happier stopping in at different restaurants down the beach for drinks as a result,

On the flip side, I LOVED the food - my favourite of any vacation so far! Have fun!

Edited: 09 March 2014, 17:23
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquor at RDC.

They had Dos Equis on tap in Nov.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquor at RDC.

Dos Equis light and dark, a huge menu of slushy drinks. There are no "call" liqueurs or liquor. They are all low end domestically made brands. So if you want Baileys or Kahlua bring it with you or buy it there. If you are on a charter that has duty free on it, buy it there. If you are bringing it in to MX, don't forget to declare it. My .02 centavos!!

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquor at RDC.

Yes, Dos Equis, and we liked the dark just fine. They have a drink menu at most of the bars for your "girly" selections, but lack the quality mixers to make a decent version of almost anything. They are not skilled bartenders, but try hard, and lack the supplements to make most quality drinks. Like, no fresh mint for mojitos, no olives for martinis, ... Stick to the basics and you will be okay, but it's not Hawaii and you won't get great foo-foo drinks. However, look around to the multitude of food venues and you will do very well in the eats department.

Victoria B.C.
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liquor at RDC.

Thanks everyone .I am not too picky so I am sure I can find something. How are their Paralyzers and margartias. With no Kahlua I'm wondering if they will still be okay. I had them at other all inclusives, also 3 star places and I was probably not sophisticated to know the difference. I love TA for all the good tips. Does anyone know if there is a location at RDC that makes lattes or cappuccinos? Not a huge deal but it would be nice.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liquor at RDC.

I'm a bartender and I've been in the bar business for 40 years. Here is my assessment. The bartenders are really good at their job considering the ingredients and tools they have available. The margaritas are pretty good as well as the"foo foo" drinks. Understand that they won't be making any fresh fruit blended drinks and use the mixes similar to what you find in stores. No mojitos but if you bring in fresh mint they would make one for you. They don't have a muddler but would do their best to please you. These are not "Ultra lounges" so don't expect anything fancy. They are good at the basic tropical drinks ie. Pina Coladas, margaritas etc. Most of the people they serve don't go to bars that often and don't really know what to order and what they like. This was an observation. If you like paralyzers...try a funky monkey. Try them all and find one you like and stick to it. It is all included.

Cappucino's and latte's are available at the lobby bar.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
937 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liquor at RDC.

They do have (or did when I was there) something similar to Kalhua, and the paralyzers were "okay". I didn't care for their "monkey" drink, as they used a cheap banana flavoured alcohol instead of real bananas (as I've had in other places), but that's just me, probably being too picky. I did notice lots of people drinking lots, so the drinks can't be all that bad, hey?

Victoria B.C.
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liquor at RDC.

Perfect guys, that's great info. Honestly, we hardly ever drink at home and usually only have 1 or 2 drinks a day at the resorts with maybe a glass of wine with dinner, We are both cancer survivors so try to do the healthy thing. Hubby will have maybe 1 beer a day so we are not hard to please. I just got concerned about all the negativity. I appreciate the info. Only 21 more sleeps!

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
815 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liquor at RDC.

Luaulady, my favourite drink at the RDC was a strawberry daiquiri. It took me a few trips to figure out that I could also order it without alcohol and it tasted pretty much the same, but still a nice summer-like beverage. Sometimes straws were scarce, so I took some of my own and cut them in half. You're going to love the RDC!

Looking forward to meeting you at the meet and greet!

Victoria B.C.
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Liquor at RDC.

Thanks countrycc, I love strawberry daiquiris.. We are so excited to be heading to RDC in 3 weeks. We have wanted to go for years, I actually like the idea that is a bit more old fashioned, we are campers so are used to just enjoying the beach and sun. We are mid sixties and want to relax and have fun so it sounds ideal. |The Meet and Greet should be wonderful. See you soon.

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias
Recent Conversations