We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Methven

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in Methven

I'll be staying near Methven from 12 Nov for a week, before departing for Wanaka for another 1 week.

What are day trips that i can make for 7 days, with Methven as my base?

Below are some day trips that i can think of (very preliminary):

Day 1. Saturday - Christhchurch

Day 2. Sunday - Mt Hutt

Day 3. Monday - Akaroa

Day 4. Tuesday - Arthurs Pass & Greymouth

Day 5. Wednesday - ?

Day 6. Thursday - ?

Day 7. Friday - Drive to Wanaka

Appreciate if anyone can help with suggestions...

Thank you very much!

Edited: 16 October 2011, 04:47
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,637 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Methven

Why are you staying all that time in Methven? Do you know that it is a very small rural town with nothing much to do outside the ski season? I don't think there will be anything to see at Mt Hutt by November. I know some people don't like packing up every day or 2 but you are creating an awful lot of backtracking by doing this itinerary.

I recommend spending your first night or 2 in Christchurch (perhaps with a day trip to Arthurs Pass); perhaps 2 nights in Kaikoura, driving via Hanmer Springs then 2 nights at Akaroa.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Methven

Hi,

I have no other option but to stay near Methven (at Windwhistle, near Rakaia Gorge) as it is the only place available through my vacation club :(

Is Timaru worth a visit?

Can you suggest a place on the east coast (doable by day trip from Methven) where I'll be able to see wild Penguins?

Thanks a lot!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,521 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Methven

I take it you are staying at Terrace Downs ?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,637 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Methven

Do you play golf? Within easy reach of Terrace Downs you can go jet boating or white-water rafting and there is lots of hiking available. As mentioned above you'll need to stay overnight at Oamaru to see the penguins as you are about as far from the coast as it is possible to be in NZ!!

5. Re: 7 days in Methven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 21:15