We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Santorini to small Cyclades?

Chester
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Santorini to small Cyclades?

Hi

We're looking at visiting Santorini at the end of June for a few days, then travelling to the little Cyclades, Iraklia & Koufinisia appeal to me. But not sure of the ferry frequency & price. The blue star ferry website wasn't that helpful.

Any tips please?

Thanks!!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Santorini to small Cyclades?

Last year I used Superjet to Kofounisi via Katapola. It cost about 40 eur and it took about an hour. It is scheduled about 3-4 times a week. It was on time and the sea was calm

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,444 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Santorini to small Cyclades?

Mon-Sat take any ferry to Naxos then same day/next day ~14:00 'Express Skopelitis' to Koufonisi, Iraklia. Somedays Bluestar around 23:00 from Naxos.

Sundays - 'Express Skopelitis' goes Santorini to Amorgos (Katapola) from there 6 days a week the 'Express Skopelitis' ~06:00/07:00 to Koufonisi and Iraklia. Some days Bluestar 06:00 ish, NEL/ANEK couple of days a week around 13:00.

The basics are to get to Naxos/Amorgos and then the 'Express Skopelitis' plus some days other ferries with BS/NEL/ANEK.

Personally I won't take the 'Superjet'.

All schedules are not out, but that is a guesstimate of the likely position.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Santorini to small Cyclades?

I also would not recommend taking the Superjet. However, in August, I am doing a similar journey from Anafi to Koufonissi (which has to be via Santorini). I don't think there will be any ferries that will get to Naxos in time to catch the Skopelitis. So my options are to take the Superjet from Santorini to koufonissi (which will be expensive and subject to rough seas) or stay on the Aqua Spirit all the way to Naxos (which takes a long time) and then go on to Koufonissi on the Superjet on its return journey. Going via Naxos will be cheaper and the ride on the Superjet won't be as bad as it will be travelling in the lee of Naxos nearly all the way, but it will take longer.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Santorini to small Cyclades?

To balance the feelings about the Superjet, I must say that the general aversion against the Superjet in this forum is not shared by all TA members. I've been using Superjet extensively in the last 10 years and I never encountered any serious problems. The ship was never more than an hour late and I never had any problems with the seasickness. Moreover, the journeys were short and comfortable.This may have something to do with the fact that I usually visit the Cyclades in the first three weeks of July when the sea is generally calmer. Also, the ship saved me a lot of time and troubles needed to change ships traveling via other islands.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 15:33
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,444 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Santorini to small Cyclades?

Sorry, but quite frankly I don't believe what you say at all. I consider that very misleading especially when people who get seasick feel so bad even for say a 45 min journey in moderately rough sea in such catamarans, and you must know full well the Meltemi peaks in July/August.

Pretending it's calm is nonsense, the facts are all available for anyone to view.

OK, I'm forced to use such ferries now and again but where there is an alternative, by golly I take it.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Santorini to small Cyclades?

I have a friend who was stranded on Sikinos (if I recall correctly) with his family, along with some 200 other passengers, several years ago when Superjet broke down. They were all left to make their own arrangements for ongoing transportation. I have twice been let down by SeaJet 2, its sister ship.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Santorini to small Cyclades?

I've never actually had a bad journey on Superjet myself, but i think it's the luck of the draw. However, I did have a very rough journey from Paros to Mykonos on Seajet 2 in June last year.

8. Re: Getting from Santorini to small Cyclades?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Koufonissi