We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunbeds on beaches?

Which Koufonissi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sunbeds on beaches?

The reason I'm attracted to Koufonissi is it's unspoiled charm, and am not looking for a bustling, crowded holiday. But a few sunbeds on the beach would be wonderful so we don't have to buy umbrellas and chairs...and we can have a little back support :)

Can anyone tell me if they've been during high season and whether any of the beaches are even the slightest "organized" as they say.

Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunbeds on beaches?

No, there aren't any sunbeds on any beaches on Koufonissi, that's part of its unspoiled charm. Because the beaches are small and quite crowded in high season, there isn't really enough space for sunbeds.

California
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunbeds on beaches?

Are there trees for shade or do they sell umbrellas in town? I'm very fair. Love the beach but need the shade :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunbeds on beaches?

Unfortunately there's very little natural shade on the beaches. I don't think you can buy umbrellas on the island, either, unless the so-called 'supermarkets' (in reality mimi-markets) might have a few. You will need to bring your own either from home or buy one before you get to Koufonissi. There is certainly no shop dedicated to selling umbrellas, beach-mats, swimming costumes etc.

California
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunbeds on beaches?

Thanks - are lots of the beaches very windy, like most of the Cyclades?

Wondering how well umbrellas pushed into the sand for the day hold up.

Are the beaches really crowded Late July? Everything looks so beautiful on Koufinissi, but if the beaches are crowded too, hmmm, not sure it's the best choice.

Do you know if Amorgos has organized beaches? I am looking for the smallest, least touristy island that has organized beaches, even if there are only a few beds.

We have the last 1/2 of our trip already booked for Milos, so we would like an island that we can connect with around two ferries. We've already been to Folegrandros. Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunbeds on beaches?

Yes, the beaches can be windy as Koufonissi is relatively flat. Pori beach is affected by the wind more than the others so when it is windy very few people go. The other beaches are a bit more protected from the wind and people do manage to use umbrellas, usually with strings attached so that they can be anchored with stones.

I'm not sure how crowded the beaches will be in July as I've never been. They are quite crowded at the end of August when I go, but there is no problem finding space. You have the option of taking the beach boat to Kato Koufonissi. Nero beach there is a lot quieter and has some natural shade from the rocky cliffs at the back of the beach and large rocks on the beach. It is not as nice a beach though.

I don't know much about Amorgos. Donousa is similar to Koufonissi in that there is little shade on the beaches and no umbrellas. I know a little bit about Iraklia and Schinousa. Iraklia has a large beach that is always very quiet and there are enough trees at the back for everyone that wants to use them. On Schinousa there is at least one beach that has a few sunbeds. I have never seen umbrellas but there may be enough trees - it's a lot time since I've been.

Antiparos has a couple of beaches with sunbeds and enough trees for everyone. There is at least one other beach which has shade provided by trees.

I've never stayed on Sikinos, but I've seen umbrellas on the beach there. It will be the easiest to connect to Milos. It might qualify as the smallest, least touristy island that has organised beaches. By smallest I mean the smallest village/population, not the smallest island.

Edited: 21 September 2013, 11:24
Ryde, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
102 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunbeds on beaches?

I bought a beach umbrella in Koufonissi in September. It cost 7 euros in the little mini market nearest to the town beach. We used it there and on Naxos with the help of improvised guy ropes when windy.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunbeds on beaches?

Thanks, Stevie. That's Marousa's shop. I didn't know she sold umbrellas but I've seen some children's beach toys there. I ought to know as I've stayed in Marousa's rooms several times.

California
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunbeds on beaches?

Thank you so much! We've booked 6 nights on Koufonissi in July - can't wait!

Bakewell, United...
Level Contributor
532 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunbeds on beaches?

Kitten

We stayed at the Aelos Hotel and they had umbrellas in reception if you wanted to borrow one but getting it to stay in the sand was another thing. Stayed by the hotel pool after that. (Tip) Theres a great little "hole in the wall" serving cheap tasty snacks if you dont fancy a sit down meal one evening.

Have a great holiday out there

10. Re: Sunbeds on beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Koufonissi