We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to koufonissia

Romsey, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to koufonissia

So, we know we want to go to this island and think its best to go from Naxos. However, no flights available from the uk to Naxos. Does anyone have the next best option?

Liz

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,644 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to koufonissia

Hi and welcome to the forums

Naxos airport is tiny; it only takes flights to/from Athens, in small planes.

So your options are to fly to Athens and get the plane, or fly to Mykonos or Santorini by easyjet or one of the other carriers, then get the ferry to Naxos. I'm not a ferry expert, but I'm pretty sure it's much easier to go from Santorini to Naxos than Mykonos to Naxos - but both are doable. I think there is a late afternoon ferry from Santorini to Naxos which may well tie in with the flights nicely.

Then Naxos to Koufonissi of course.

By the way, I presume we're talking about next summer, not this winter!

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,673 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to koufonissia

Here you can see Naxos Airport:

http://tinyurl.com/q5gbtgt

;-)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,644 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to koufonissia

Thanks for posting the photos Erik, I thought you might be along ;)

4. Re: Getting to koufonissia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 November 2013, 20:00
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to koufonissia

In the season there used to be an every day connection of Santorini and Ano Koufonisi by the Superjet.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to koufonissia

Marjan, I think this has been retimed for next year so that the catamaran sets off from Santorini early in the morning so it won't be any good for flights into Santorini connecting into it.

Getaway, your options are :

1.Fly into Athens and then get a long trip by direct ferry to Koufonissi from Piraeus or a catamaran from Rafina.

2.Fly into Athens, then fly to Naxos then get a ferry to Koufonissi.

3. Fly into Mykonos, then get a catamaran to Koufonissi or you might have to change on Naxos.

4. Fly into Santorini, then get a catamaran to Koufonissi or again you might have to change on Naxos.

Some of these will mean staying overnight. On the return journey you would be advised to stay the last night on the island/mainland that you are flying back from in case of cancellations or delays to ferries.

If you look at www.gtp.gr I think that all the ferries you would be interested in are already there for next summer. What is best depends on what will connect with your available flights, and whether youwant to get there as fast as possible or whether price is the issue. Don't forget that you could fly into one airport and come back a completely different way on your return journey.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Essex
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to koufonissia

There's one regular ferry that's not yet on GTP for next summer - Express Skopelitis. It's been sailing daily except Sundays from Naxos to Koufonissi at about 2pm for many years. You can also expect an NEL service once a week - it usually sails from Naxos on Monday mornings.

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to koufonissia

Mikets is correct of course. How could I forget the Skopelitis? Probably because I've used it so often that I know the timetable and don't look at the schedules for it on websites. The schedule is never announced until a few months or weeks in advance, but it is a fixture except for a few weeks when it goes for maintenance but that's always in winter.

London
Level Contributor
270 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to koufonissia

I think it would be better to grab a cheap EasyJet to Mykonos than to Athens - your first night would be on an island not the mainland. If you go outside of August there is plenty of accommodation at fairly moderate prices - in September I paid 25 Euros a night in the old town, near the windmills. Not plush - but fine for a night on arrival.

Also, flights to Mykonos tend to be cheaper than to Santorini. And Santorini is usually very expensive for accommodation.

From Mykonos I took a jet catamaran to Naxos - I much prefer open ferries but there was no open boat direct or via Paros. It is well worth spending a few days on Naxos itself. Lots and lots of accommodation. Some people hire a car - but the bus services across the island are fine, and less hair-raising !

And then the old-faithful Express Skopelitos from Naxos to Kouffanissi. Koufannissi is expensive in high season - but again, in September I was paying just 25 Euros a night for a self-catering studio on the harbourfront. A lovely quiet island, super beaches and the little port town has all you need.

I also visited Iraklia and Amorgos in a mini-tour of the Cyclades "back-islands". Skopelitos is the local daytime shuttle for these. Amorgos is well worth visiting if you have enough time.

My trip was 1 night Mykonos (I had been there before) then 2 nights Naxos (I had been before but still enjoyed it a lot then - fitting in with the end-of-season ferry times - one night Iraklia (very small), 2 nights Koufannissi, 4 nights Amorgos - 2 at each end of the large island. (Then BlueStar from Amotgos to Naxos for a night before a ferry to Santorini.) As ever - all the open-ferry trips were fun.

I think the main thing is - try to avoid high-season which means high costs, often harder to get ferries and buses, and anyway probably too hot for comfort ?

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Amorgos
Amorgos
Cyclades, Greece
Cyclades
Cyclades
South Aegean, Greece
10. Re: Getting to koufonissia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Koufonissi