We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Island drive

Perth, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
South Island drive

First time to NZ for the family & I, we will be doing the following in mid July and are traveling from Picton, Greymouth, Arthurs Pass, Methvin, Omarama, Dunedin, Milton?, Wanaka and onto Queenstown, we have 8 days to do this and are hoping there are no drives longer than 4 hours ?

We are hoping this will give us enough time to take in the scenery without driving all day. The rest of the family has not seen snow & we are from Perth Australia "dry & flat". I am though an expierenced country driver but guessing dirt roads and Roos wont mean much.

Any tips on what to do or not to do...

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,279 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Island drive

This is rather an odd route - any particular reasons for visiting Methven (skiing?), Omarama & Milton - ie are they must stays (with friends or homestays?). Do you want to stop & sightsee along the way?

Best website for calculating travel times is www.aamaps.co.nz

This shows Picton-Greymouth by the more direct route is 4:49

Greymouth- Methven is 3:44 via Arthurs Pass

Methven to Omarama is 3:39

Omarama to Dunedin is 3:20

Dunedin to Milton is 45 min

Milton to Wanaka is 2:55 and

Wanaka to QTN is between 1hr & 1:42

So all your days will be under 4 hr.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Island drive

Roads in NZ are winding and sometimes high. The KMPH is down compared to our open roads. There won't be roos or snakes. Not sure of the weather but I'd always check the road conditions ahead just in case. Some roads do close if snowed in.

Here is a link from TA about the subject

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g255116-i729-k35568…

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Island drive

You have picked a bit of a complicated route. Like Zuhuai says unless you have particular reasons for stopping in some of these places you may find it better to take the more usual circular route taking in the West Coast over the Haast, Wanaka Queenstown, back past Aoraki Mt Cook to Christchurch. What are you hoping to see? When we know this we can put a route together.

While there are no Roos or snakes we do have the odd rabbit and Possum and I guess most Ozzies coming here are facinated by the number of sheep.

Perth, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: South Island drive

Thanks for the feedback

We wanted to keep away from cities most of the time but just wanted to see the country and interesting towns/ places/snow... Dunedin maybe a town to far so to speak and Mt Cook might be the go and slow down to enjoy. Is Twizel ok to use as a base to see the area or better to stay at Mt cook ?

Cheers

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Island drive

Aoraki/Mt Cook

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Island drive

Yes I believe we smuggled the possum in over there!Saw some possum pelts made into all sorts of things in Kingston, if I recall....now there is a nice area to walk into Lake Wakatipu shore and get some wonderful photos...you do have magnificent scenery over there and those sheep keep it clean!

Perth, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: South Island drive

Thanks every one for the info. Now going Picton, Nelson, Greymouth, Arthurs Pass, Methvin, Aoraki/Mt Cook 2 days, Wanaka 2 days and then Queenstown for 3 days. Family & I cant wait, again thanks to all.

8. Re: South Island drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 09:21
Get answers to your questions about Arthur's Pass National...