We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is Jacksons retreat

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
where is Jacksons retreat

We are planning a campervan holiday to the south Island which includes Jacksons retreat Arthurs Pass. I am trying to find an actual address that I can input to my GPS, I've had state highway 73 and 100 Otira Highway given to me so I'm confused. Does anybody know the exact address, as I dont know if state highway 73 and otira highway is the same thing. We will be approaching from Hanmer Springs

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where is Jacksons retreat

do what I just did and Google - where is jacksons retreat

and low and behold you get a link with GPS coordinates :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,607 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where is Jacksons retreat

Every road in NZ has a name, eg Otira Highway. These are used for postal purposes and giving precise directions ie 100 Otira Highway. Then routes from one city to another are numbered for driving convenience. Route 73 covers a number of different roads, including the Otira Highway. Basically it runs from Chch to Kumara Junction on the West Coast.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where is Jacksons retreat

If you get lost on HW73, Arthurs Pass, then you probably shouldn't be allowed out unaccompanied! If you come over the hill, and through Otira the next intersection has a road to the right that goes towards Moana. On the left, facing West, is a bilboard saying "Jacksons Retreat. It is about 100 meters from Jacksons pub.

Turn your GPS off and keep it for a city address. It will just distract you.

California
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where is Jacksons retreat

You can't miss it, it's well signed. Jacksons, I believe, is a name of a town (although it consists of virtually nothing). There's also a Jackson's Historic Tavern just a tad up the road. On Google maps, Jackson's Retreat is slightly west of the intersection of Lake Brunner Rd. Are you taking Lewis or Arthur's Pass? Here's a google map link with the Lewis Pass option: http://goo.gl/maps/0lM8g

We stayed there last December. The views from the sites are gorgeous and the owner is a very sweet gentleman.

Enjoy your stay.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where is Jacksons retreat

Thanks all , good directions , I shouldn't get lost now

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where is Jacksons retreat

You say you are comming from Hanmer Springs. What direction are you comming from? Are you headding over lewis pass, to reefton, the stilwater to jacksons (which is shorter)? or are you travelling hanmer Springs to Highway 1 at Waipara, then along Highway 1 till you see sign posts to rangiora and Oxford to Sheffield to Arthurs's Pass to jacksons? You do not need a GPS to find anything in jacksons, also note the pub has been closed for several months now so you cannot count on buying a meal there.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where is Jacksons retreat

We are travelling Waipara to rangiora to oxford etc. and on to Jacksons

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where is Jacksons retreat

So thats over hw73, Arthurs Pass. You will really have to work at getting lost! It is an absolute cracker of a drive. Turn the GPS off (just after it says follow the road 250kms) and let the force be with you.

Lansing, Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: where is Jacksons retreat

Check out their website. The GPS coordinates are on ther

Lansing, Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: where is Jacksons retreat

South: 42 deg 55' 05" | East: 171 deg 01' 12"

Get answers to your questions about Arthur's Pass National...