We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving over Arthurs Pass

Which Arthur's Pass National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
brisbane
Level Contributor
528 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Driving over Arthurs Pass

Hi Everyone,

We will be driving from Ashburton to Poerua.

Is there any recommendations for spots to not miss enroute!

Most likely will pack a picnic lunch to eat somewhere.

Is the Jackson Tavern worth visiting for a meal?

Many Thanks :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving over Arthurs Pass

Where are you staying in Poerua? I don't know of anyone who has actually stayed there.

Is Jackson's Tavern still open? You might arrive to find it closed. tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255372-d723…

Driving, I would head to Methven first then follow the Inland Scenic Route for a bit before switching to the route over Arthur's Pass. it might sound a bit complicated but it is merely three very well marked intersections.

And do stop in Arthur's Pass - you are bound to see some kea (mountain parrot) there, they are very entertaining.

newzealand.com/ie/…

safe tarvels :)

brisbane
Level Contributor
528 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving over Arthurs Pass

Thanks for replying. I had read some where that the tavern may have closed. Guess that means we better bring supplies up the Pass. We are staying in a gorgeously converted old church we found on Bookabach at Poerua. Looks devine and perfect for a 2 night stay before heading to the Glaciers. I can post details if anyone is interested. Cheers :)

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving over Arthurs Pass

When you get to Arthurs Pass itself there are plenty of places to eat at in the village

brisbane
Level Contributor
528 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving over Arthurs Pass

Thanks!

The Methven route sounds lovely - thanks for the tip WLnz.

Fancy meeting you here our001! So used to seeing you on the Bali Forum :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving over Arthurs Pass

Sigh, you two just made me miss planning Bali trips!

Lucky I have my NZ trip planned!

Edited: 12 September 2013, 05:00
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving over Arthurs Pass

A few years ago when we visited in Winter, we drove Arthur's Pass. We started driving late afternoon and by the time we got there, the sun had already set.

There's quite a few windy bends (to say the least), but what made it more scary for us was that the fog started to come in. I remember I was driving at the time and due to the fog I had to drive around 20km/h and have my hazard lights on, this was so the car in front was aware of me being behind them and also gave indication to the car trailing me as well.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving over Arthurs Pass

Methven, rakaia Gorge, over the bridge then up the gravel road zigzag, then toward lake cleridge, then via lake Lydon and you arrive onto Highway 73 on he arthurs pass side of Porters Pass. the rest of the road is easy, Stop at Arthur's pass village, Jacksons tavern has been closed for about 6 months now, then turn right at Jacksons. do watch out for the right hand turn to Poerua /Moana. many a visitor goes straight ahead and end up in Mitchels or Kumara back on highway 73

brisbane
Level Contributor
528 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving over Arthurs Pass

We ended up going via Methven and then headed towards Lake Coleridge. We were directed this way be locals. Scenic but quite desolate. Gravel road most of the way. Brought us out on the Arthurs Pass highway south of Castle Hill.

We ate at the Arthurs Pass Café. Was what you would expect but did the job!

Poerua was lovely, much enhanced by staying at the old restored church and visited by a very friendly Weka!Also visited Lake Brunner as well. Wish we could have stayed longer to explore this area.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving over Arthurs Pass

fifty kilomtres shorter via lake Lyndon rd which you taken. Glad you survived the journey and found it enjoyable.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,299 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving over Arthurs Pass

Castle Hill is a great place for a walk and picnic. (be warned that at the solstice you may find people communing with nature if it is warm enough)