We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mt cook boat trp advance booking

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
mt cook boat trp advance booking

Does the boat trip requires advance booking or we can get on the spot availability ...in month of march ..dated 14 march

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,899 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mt cook boat trp advance booking

It is always a risk. There might be nobody else there or a coach-load! There is a limited number of seats so I would book ahead if this is sth you want to do.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,176 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mt cook boat trp advance booking

best to book ahead - I tried booking for friends in Feb two years ago and it was fully booked several days ahead.

it's a great trip, enjoy :)

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mt cook boat trp advance booking

We were at Mt. Cook for two days in mid-Jan during our 4 week trip in the SI and were debating whether to do the glacier boat trip. I opted not to due to costs- instead we hiked down to see Lake Tasman. There were only 4 or 5 very small icebergs floating on the lake - so I am glad we did not do the boat tour as my desire was to float around the ice bergs and see them up close. This is likely dependent on the time of year. Of course, you are unable to get close to the face of the glacier on the hike and the boat I assume takes you right up to it. But I was much more impressed with Fox and Franz Glaciers on the West Coast if that is on your itinerary. So I would vote not to spend your dollars and just hike down and see the Lake. - just my humble opinion.

BTW, we did also hike down to the Lake itself and there were a lot of Asian tourists just finishing your boat tour. There were busloads of tourist in the park and I must admit that the Hooker Valley trail was very crowded. Unfortunately, we were there during the school holidays - so should be better in March.

Joyce

4. Re: mt cook boat trp advance booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 12:15