We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days at Mt Cook - what do you think?

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
740 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
4 days at Mt Cook - what do you think?

Here's what we'd like to do in the Mt Cook area - could you please comment if this is too much or too little time? I'd say our travel style is peaceful exploration with plenty of time to leisurely let our experience in an area unfold. We love to hike and take photographs.

I don’t know how different the hiking and experience will be here in comparison to the Queenstown/Wanaka area. We’ll be in Wanaka for a month and planning on doing a lot of hiking in that area.

2 nights/1 full day in Lake Tekapo: Earth & Sky Night Observatory Tour (staying 2 nights in case the weather isn’t clear enough for photos on the first night with their telescope), Mt John Observatory day tour, small boat cruise, salmon farm

4 nights/4 days staying in Mt Cook Village

Glacier Explorer’s Trip

Helicopter tour – maybe Tasman heli-hiking

Sea kayaking

Edmund Hillary Centre

Hiking – each day - there seems to be lots of options and depending upon the weather we can make those choices each day

Evenings: Planetarium, walk away from the hotel and its lights and enjoy the evening stars

Thanks bunches for your comments.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days at Mt Cook - what do you think?

yes yes and yes, it all sounds great!!

With a month in Wanaka and four days Aoraki, many will be envious of your time.

Enjoy :)

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
740 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days at Mt Cook - what do you think?

Hi WanakaLakes,

Thanks for responding. I'm wondering if you know anything about the Mt Nicholas Station & Lodge. I am very curious if it would provide an opportunity to have even for a short time, a window into what it must be like to live for real in such an expansive and beautiful location and manage a station. We love to hike and I really enjoy landscape photography. Their farm tour looks really interesting. We would have time with the family.

In your opinion, do you think a stay at Mt Nicholas Lodge truly offers a unique experience?

Their website: http://www.mtnicholas.co.nz/home.aspx

Thanks for any insights....

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days at Mt Cook - what do you think?

Hi J :)

I have no knowledge of Mt Nicholas Station but it looks amazing - and the location can't be beat. If you do stay I look forward to reading your review.

I can highly recommend Glen Dene Station in Wanaka - fabulous setting and fabulous hosts http://www.glendenestation.co.nz/

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
740 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days at Mt Cook - what do you think?

Thank you, WanakaLakes. I'll check out Glen Dene Station!

Christchurch, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days at Mt Cook - what do you think?

Sounds great! My only comment is what time of year are you planning to visit? I ask because some operators, such as Glacier Explorers, close down over the winter months.

Mentioned in this post
Glacier Explorers
Glacier Explorers
463 Reviews
Mt. Cook Village, New Zealand
Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
740 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days at Mt Cook - what do you think?

Hi Cesca11 - thanks for thinking of that - we're still tweaking our dates, but it looks like from December 30 through January 2nd - departing on the 3rd.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 16:25
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days at Mt Cook - what do you think?

Haha, sorry, made me laugh, sea kayaking at Mt Cook. I guess can still be called that when it's on a lake (differentiates it from river kayaking anyway)... Sounds like a great trip you have planned.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days at Mt Cook - what do you think?

Sam, a sea kayak is a kayak design, not a location. The sea kayak is manufactured for open water, whether sea or lake.

There is also the white-water kayak for rivers, surf kayak, the sit-on-top kayak and no doubt a number of others.

9. Re: 4 days at Mt Cook - what do you think?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 06:17