We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enquires on mt cook

Which Mt. Cook Village hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Enquires on mt cook

Hi all! I'm travelling from queenstown to mt cook in a campervan.

Thinking of camping at white horse hill or glentanner

Which place will offer better sunrise view?

I know it'll be cold at white horse hill, but we will be having heaters in our van.

We'll be doing hooker valley early in the morning too so white horse hill have the slight advantage.

Also, how long will it take to drive from queenstown all the way to white horse hill in early june in a afternoon.

Will we make it by sunset if we leave queenstown at 1pm?

Would it be dangerous if we got delayed and have to drive at 6 or 7pm?

Would mt cook road be in total darkness?

Sorry for asking so many questions!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enquires on mt cook

in ideal driving conditions, about 4 to 4.5 hours

nope

yep

yep

I suggest you depart earlier from Queenstown to allow plenty of time to reach the campground before dark.

Safe travels :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,622 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enquires on mt cook

What power source does your campervan heater have? White Horse Hill is an unpowered camp site. While the views are stunning in fine weather, I suggest you keep an open mind about Glentanner. Glentanner has a very cosy communal kitchen/dining/TV room with a wood burner as well as hot showers and laundry. You need to be at Mt Cook by about 4:30 pm to see the sunset. It will be over by 5pm in June.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enquires on mt cook

Hi, we will be having electric, battery or gas heaters.. I see. Which part of mt cook would be the best location to view the sunset from?

Will we make it before sunset if we leave queenstown at 12pm? I'm thinking of doing Ben Lomond Walkway before departing from QT.

California
Level Contributor
6,917 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enquires on mt cook

I don't know how you would be able to do Ben Lomond Track and be on the road by noon. Where are you starting the track from and how far are you planning to go?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,323 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enquires on mt cook

Something will have to give. It is a lovely drive from Queenstown to Mt. Cook and you will want to take the time to enjoy it. We made several stops along the way.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enquires on mt cook

Hi. We actually plan to stay at top ten. But now considering QT lakeview park as its nearer.. Do you have any advice regarding this?

As for Ben Lomond.. we plan to take the gondola which starts at 9am? we'll probably only have enough time to reach the saddle although i really hope to hit the summit. :(

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enquires on mt cook

Check with your camper rental to ensure you are able to use a heater while unplugged.

Hiking to the Ben Lomond summit takes 6 - 8 hours - is unsuitable for kids under 10 years of age - alpine skills and experience are needed to attempt the summit in winter. I think you need to reconsider.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enquires on mt cook

thank you for the reminder. Yes we have checked and they provide gas heater. We will be getting battery heater as well. I understand the duration therefore i mentioned that we will only be going to the saddle and we have no children with us. :)

California
Level Contributor
6,917 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Enquires on mt cook

I realize that Ben Lomond is the rated #1 attraction for Queenstown on TA, but I think those who ranked it went to the summit. I don't think it would be the best hike you could do in your allotted time if you can only go to the saddle.

10. Re: Enquires on mt cook

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 17:15