We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels and Location

Which Mt. Cook Village hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Hotels and Location

Looks like Mt. Cook Village is pretty small and not a lot if going on. I am planning on spending 1 night there as part of my South Island trek. Questions:

Looking at the Aoraki Court Motel and wondering if I would need to drive to get to the main walking tracks in the area? The Kea Point track and the Hooker Valley track are the ones I am most interested in.

California
Level Contributor
6,612 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels and Location

Walking from the village adds about an hour to your time, but it's certainly an option. There's plenty of parking at White Horse Hill Campground though. Looking at your other thread, it appears you plan to rent a car.

Here's a PDF of the DOC pamphlet:

…govt.nz/documents/parks-and-recreation/trac…

Hartford...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels and Location

Thanks for the info. Assuming nothing major is cut out of the Kea Point Track by driving to and parking at the camp ground instead of staring the walk from the village, I'll opt to drive and park.

I'm just crossing my fingers for good weather!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels and Location

IMO Kea point is easiest started from the main Village, right beside the Hermitage Hotel, but yes, all that you cut out from the Hooker Valley track by driving is a grassy plain, 20 min or so walk to the Whitehorse Hill Campground & car park.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels and Location

Aoraki Court Motel and Hermitage Hotel are sold out for our dates. Pls suggest other accommodation options at Mt. Cook.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,808 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels and Location

Really, the hermitage is a big hotel. What dates are you looking at. i suggest aoraki lodge http://www.aorakialpinelodge.co.nz/

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels and Location

Yes, try a different booking site or contact the hotel directly. Sometimes a hotel's rooms on a certain booking site will be sold out, but there are rooms available.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels and Location

You are there Dec 28th? It shows fully booked on wotif.

Perhaps consider Glentanner or Tekapo.

best of luck :)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels and Location

Ahh, Just before New Year. That explains it.

9. Re: Hotels and Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2015, 08:15