We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book accommodation ahead of time or upon arrival?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Book accommodation ahead of time or upon arrival?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be traveling to Turkey in May, 2014. As part of our trip, we plan to tour the Mediterranean Coast for about 1 week and are looking at places such as Kas, Kalkan, Fethiye, Oludeniz and/or Bodrum. We haven't decided exactly where we would like to go or how long we would like to stay at each place, but would like to keep it open. Would someone be able to give us advice on whether we should book our accommodations in advance or if we will be ok looking for a place once we get there? (We are not picky about what type of accommodation - could be budget hotels, bed and breakfasts, pensions, etc.)

Thank you in advance!

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book accommodation ahead of time or upon arrival?

May is one of the busiest months for tourists in Turkey - so I would definitely book ahead of time - the Hideaway Hotel in Kas has the most stunning views from their rooftop terrace where you take breakfast or drinks and is not expensive - in Side you could try Lale Park or The Beach House Hotel - both in Old Town Side near the Apollo Temple and amphitheatre yet on a quiet street near the harbour area.

If you only have one week to tour Turkey you will be hard pushed to see all that is on your list above. Try to whittle it down to just 2 or 3 places - I suggest Kas and Side and Antalya - enjoy your holidays.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book accommodation ahead of time or upon arrival?

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! You have been very helpful :)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book accommodation ahead of time or upon arrival?

I disagree;in all of the places you list there is plenty of accomodation of all classes and you will be able to rock up and find a decent place,especially as you aren't going with a set criteria of where you are prepared to stay .And this does not mean you'd only be left with scruffy rundown places,far from it.

The only place worth booking ahead for May would be Istanbul.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book accommodation ahead of time or upon arrival?

Hi Fellow Calgarian !!! and welcome to the forums

I know that I have posted this information numerous times but I think it is relevant to the OP question. One can easily spend 10 days just exploring the Antalya coastal areas ( Lycian coastline ) with the vast amount of historical and rural villages with lovely beaches..The entire coastline of Antalya ranging from the city of Antalya to Fethiye is a wonderful way to spend a vacation. And some with spendid beaches and historical areas. Here are some great places to visit south west from Antalya - Phaselis, Cirali, Myra, Kekova, Kas, Kalkan, Xanthos, Patara, Telmessos, Fethiye, Oludeniz, and Kayakoy.

Along the Antalya coastline..always a car is preferred..but the local buses are cheap and available..

A couple of places along the way from Antalya I recommend are Cirali, Kas, Ucagiz ( Kalekoy ), Patara and Kaya Koyu near Fethiye.

Also the famous '' Chimaera '' burning mountain is located in the north end of the Cirali village...

This is the Chimaera or Yanartaş as it is know in Turkish .....Yanartaş - The mystical flames at the Chimaera. The Chimaera, a series of flames issuing out of cracks in the bare hillside, is one of the most unusual sites in the whole of Lycia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanarta%c5%9f

check out these photos here; http://tinyurl.com/mo7fr6r

http://turkishtravelblog.com/cirali/

ent a car and drive along the coast and you can visit as many as you like

Ancient Cities of Lycian Civilization ( .UNESCO World Heritage Sites - Date of Submission: 06/02/2009 )

http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5408/

Major cities of this federation were Patara (being the capital city), Xanthos, Pinara, Olympos, Myra and Tlos which had three votes later joined Phaselis.

Lycian civilization only existed in this part of the world and Anatolia

check out the useful pages of the Turkey travel planner

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…index.html

also here is more useful info that might help you answer your question

turkeytravelplanner.com/stay/advance_reserv.…

do you plan to rent a car or take buses from different destinations ??..If you have a car you can drive around looking at different accommodations at your leisure..but if you are travelling on a bus you do not have that freedom and if you are looking for accommodations you dont want to have to be dragging around your luggage

have a short list of places ( hotels ) that you might be interested in based on services and ammenties.. also you can call or email the hotels you are interested 2 or 3 days in advance to check if they have availability..you could also make tentative reservations if you like..also it is good to have directions to different hotels so you are not spending your time wandering around or perhaps getting lost..again another reason to book in advance and have proper directions provided from each hotel. another note book direct with the hotels website rather than using a 3 rd party website..as you might get a better deal..many hotels offer some cash discounts if booking direct

Edited: 29 January 2014, 07:01
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book accommodation ahead of time or upon arrival?

bumping up for another member

6. Re: Book accommodation ahead of time or upon arrival?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Turkish Mediterranean...