We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliff of Moher fog

Larkspur, Colorado
Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Topic
Cliff of Moher fog

Hello, I hope that I am asking this in the right forum.

We will be visiting Ireland in Aug, and I like to visit the Cliff of Moher. I have read that it is often surrounded by fog/mist. Does it have a pattern as to more often in the morning, midday, afternoon?

In the west coast of US, there is a "marine layer" that produces fog often, but mostly in the morning, and likely dissipates in late morning or midday. Is this applicable to the west coast of Ireland? Obviously they are geographically far apart and by different oceans, but I though I'd ask ...

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,023 Reviews
from US$59.40*
Free Cancellation
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
290 Reviews
from US$47.50*
Free Cancellation
Limerick, Cliffs of Moher, Burren and...
839 Reviews
from US$141.40*
Free Cancellation
2 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,932 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliff of Moher fog

Yes, mist is mainly present in the morning at any time of the year but not every day. However there are days when the area is shrouded in mist for the whole day. There is no pattern.

Just go there, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliff of Moher fog

Just go there, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

this is the best advice you will get, we are one county down from Clare and also stuck out into the Atlantic.

Fog is our worst weather and does not show up on weather forecasts.

We can get several days of thick wet fog absolutely an time of the year without notice,

In the Summer it is thick wet hot fog and in the Winter it is thick wet cold fog

It drops in without any notice and can last days, sometimes we can barely see the end of the garden but it can be hot and sunny in Tralee, 30 miles away.

Strangely you can sometimes be driving home from Tralee and see the fog bank in front of you, like a science fiction movie.

Mentioned in this post
County Clare
County Clare
Province of Munster, Ireland
Tralee
Tralee
County Kerry, Ireland
Reply to: Cliff of Moher fog
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted