We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to Go, Stay in Galway?

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
244 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
When to Go, Stay in Galway?

We are just back from Dublin, where we had a ball, and would love to see the West Coast next time around.

Likely we will have 7 full days, and will fly into Shannon airport.

We'd love a little more sunshine than we had in Dublin (none, it rained the entire week:-)) but know it's Ireland. But if there are months that have a better chance of less rain, could someone advise.

Of course we'd want to see Cliff of Moher, Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula, Aran Islands.

What else might we fit in without turning it into a rush here and there "vacation"?

Could we easily base in one place such as Galway rather than constantly moving about? Is it necessary to rent a car, or is there public transport to get us to what we want to see?

Thanks for your help. Very much looking forward to our next visit to Ireland!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,905 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to Go, Stay in Galway?

mcdebbie, I'm so glad you enjoyed Dublin and want to come back to Ireland.

Weatherwise it's really difficult to predict (as I'm sure you know). The "summer months" (haha) this year proved themselves to be just as bad as in the last two years. September started out badly but we're now set for some lovely days (glorious sunshine today). I think May and September are your best bets but you just never know.

Galway would be a perfect base for touring Connemara, the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren etc. You can do bus tours from the city, so there's no absolute need for a rented car. However, a rented car would give you the freedom to do as you like, on the day you like, to go where you like. A google search will give you results for tour companies and the local experts or posters who have stayed in the area and have done bus tours will also be able to help.

The Ring of Kerry and the Dingle peninsula would, in my opinion, be too far to go on a bus trip from Galway. You just wouldn't have the time to explore and savour. Then again, it might just be the thing to give you a taste of the areas and a thirst to come back and explore at leisure!

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to Go, Stay in Galway?

Thank you.

Would we be able to do the Aran Islands? Something I had my heart set on as a day trip from Dublin, but didn't want a long day as such.

Is 7 days enough for seeing what we want to see? (I know, there's never enough time!)

How far is the airport from Galway? Is public transport available from airport to Galway?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to Go, Stay in Galway?

Sampling the Aran Islands is very easy to do as a day trip from Galway without a car - this reputable company operate all sorts of excursions (some including overnight options) and they offer a shuttle bus 'add on' from their offices just off Eyre Square in central Galway:

http://www.aranislandferries.com/

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to Go, Stay in Galway?

Hi Macdebbie

You will certainly be able to see the Aran Islands on a trip to Galway - you can either do a day trip or stay over night.

http://www.aranislandferries.com

http://www.cliffs-of-moher-cruises.com

http://www.aerarannislands.ie

Shannon airport is a little over an hour from Galway and the buses from the airport will drop you at the new bus terminal a couple of minutes walk from Eyre Sqaure

www.citylink.ie or www.buseireann.ie

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to Go, Stay in Galway?

hi macdebbie

you will have a ball - galway is great as a base and you can easily visit the aran islands from galway. No problem.

I think you should fly into Shannon (not Dublin). Base yourself in either Galway for the first 3/4 days, and then swop over for the last 3/4 days. Or vice versa. Fly out of shannon again.

For galway you will definitely not need a car, but for the Kerry part, I think a car would be an advantage to you (but not necessary if you base yourself in Killarney). Maybe do the tour of the ring of kerry.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to Go, Stay in Galway?

when I said "swop over" I mean Killarney

i.e. do half in Galway and half in Killarney and make sure you use Shannon airport as your airport.

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to Go, Stay in Galway?

Thank you.

Yes, we were planning on flying into Shannon.

Would the purpose of having 2 bases be that it is best to see the Ring of Kerry from Killarney base?

My husband is against renting a car. Just too stressful for him in a foreign country, especially where they drive on the other side.

So we need a base - or bases with good public transport available. I know we will lose some flexibility, but I respect his desire to have a stress-free time, also!

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to Go, Stay in Galway?

I will be in Ireland the last week of Sept. and will be visiting the Killarney area. I will see what I can find out about tours for the Ring of Kerry and public transportation. I will be based out of Limerick City and have printed out several bus routes using Bus Eireann www.buseireann.ie ~ to get me around as I too hate driving in Ireland. It is very stressful to the driver.

Limerick City is just 15 minutes from Shannon airport and may be a good central base for your travels. There are many things to do and see there as well if you like castles, manor houses, churches. You can download a discount coupon booklet ~ gives a lot of 2 for 1 entrance fee discounts ~ In the Shannon/Galway/Kerry areas

shortbreaksireland.ie/media/Media,8573,en.pdf

Happy planning your next trip.

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to Go, Stay in Galway?

I just found this link for bus service leaving Killarney to the Ring of Kerry

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1245925199-280.pdf

Newburyport...
Level Contributor