We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for five days on our own in southwest/west Ireland

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
107 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for five days on our own in southwest/west Ireland

My husband and I will rent a car for five days of touring on our own before joining our University of Notre Dame tour group in late August/early September 2012.

The organized tour will take us to the attractions near Killarney, Limerick and Dublin. So, we would like to spend the time on our own seeing other areas in western/southwestern Ireland. We have already identified some possibilities, including Kinsale, Kenmare, the Dingle Peninsula and either Dulin or Galway and the Aran Islands.

Could one of the charming Irish experts on this site please lend a hand in plotting a logical plan through these areas? If Kinsale is too far off the route and not worth the detour, please say so.

Would it make sense to base ourselves in Dingle for two nights and Galway or Dulin for a night or two? Is it worth staying in Dromoland Castle for a night?

As you suggest an itinerary, please keep in mind that we arrive at the Shannon Airport on the morning of Day 1 and pick up our tour at the same location on Day 6.

Thank you for your expert assistance.

sconner

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,266 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for five days on our own in southwest/west Ireland

Debate on as to whether I'm charming or not but.....

The Kerry area is lovely and there are some spectacular places to see.

Some suggestions (google image them!!)

West Cork : Clonakilty, Bandon, Schull.

Beara Peninsula including Glengarriff and Garnish Island

Gougane Barra

Dingle (as previously mentioned)

Don't know if you are driving the Ring of Kerry or how long you'll be in Killarney but there is a lot off the beaten track there worth seeing.

I was in the Kerry area a few weeks ago and wrote a report on things to do in Kerry in Winter (its in the Kerry Forum). It may give you some ideas.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for five days on our own in southwest/west Ireland

Killarney is a wonderful place to base yourself. I'd say 3 nights in Killarney, 2 nights in Galway and drive directly to Dublin airport from Galway. With the new motorway the journey time from Dublin to Galway is just about 2 hours.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for five days on our own in southwest/west Ireland

who mentioned Dublin airport? I would say OP was flying into and out of Shannon. If your organised tour is going South to Killarney then I would go north to Clare, Galway and Connemara otherwise you are bound to be backtracking.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for five days on our own in southwest/west Ireland

Sorry, I misunderstood about Dublin airport...my mistake!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,669 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for five days on our own in southwest/west Ireland

Have a day and night north of the Shannon in Clare, possibly Dromoland, then drop down to a night in Dingle (almost compulsory) then possibly a couple of nights Killarney/Kenmare. The last free night in Kinsale (depending on what time you have to be back at SNN

6. Re: Ideas for five days on our own in southwest/west Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 07:42