We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Galway to Cork area, in a week!

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip from Galway to Cork area, in a week!

I am panicked and wonder if I am trying to see to many places/things. Suggestions are appreciated: I have listed things to do in areas more as a guide, not an itinerary.....

May 24th Arrive Shannon, Ireland 6AM

Pick up rental car, drive to Galway, It's around 80-minute drive from Shannon to Galway. Eat breakfast enroute.

Possibly stop at Bunratty Castle to tour. (do they have breakfast locally?)

2- nights Galway May 24th and May 25th

Spend the afternoon exploring Galway city; drive out to Connemara:

Option: visit one of the Aran islands, either by ferry or plane.

*Dungaire Castle, Poulnabrone Tomb, Aran Islands, Kyle Mire Abbey

May 26th Head to Doolin (Galway to Doolin is 1.5 hr drive) I am seeing mixed reviews on Doolin. Is that somewhere to pass through, instead of stay over night?

(pit stop for 1 night en route to Dingle? -Galway to Dingle 4.5 to 5 hr drive)

this would give you the opportunity to explore the fascinating Burren region.

*Cliffs of Moher, The Burren, Killkey sp?, Doolin Cave, O’Connors Pub, great food!

Q-are these activities reachable from the Galway area?

May 27th and May 28th Dingle

1 full day to explore the Peninsula

• Great Blasket,

• Slea Head: This scenic drive takes you on a circular tour of most of the Western Dingle Peninsula.

Dunbeg Promontory Fort http://www.dunbegfort.com Continue on the R559 through Ventry; you will come to Dunbeg Fort. This prehistoric defensive promontory fort clings to the cliff edge at Slea Head. Dramatic views out to sea.

May 29th Kenmare (Killarney en route) Hotel in Kenmare=??

Then continue to the pretty market town of Kenmare. (Kenmare 2 hrs from Dingle) for 1 night. drive via Killarney (Killarney is 1 hr from Dingle) and see some of the sights nearby:

*Killarney: Gap of Dunloe, Ross Castle

*Kenmare: 3 hour coastal drive through charming villages, each with something to explore. Timoleague: Abbey, Clonakilty: Model railway village, Glandore: Drombeg Stone Circle, Skibbereen: Heritage Center and Great Famine Exhibition, Bantry: Bantry House.

Kenmare to Kinsale 3 hr drive.

May 30th Kinsale

Kinsale to Cashel (1.5 hour drive) allow 2 hrs in Cashel, Rock of Cashel.

Someone mentioned the medieval town of Fethard and what a gem this was. I have a note to find this place.

May 31 Cashel to Shannon Room in Shannon=??

June 1st Shannon to Edinburgh, Scotland

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Aran Islands
Aran Islands
County Galway, Ireland
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
O'Connors Pub
O'Connors Pub
244 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
The Western Hotel
The Western Hotel
972 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Gap of Dunloe
Gap of Dunloe
3,000 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
2,339 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Clonakilty
Clonakilty
County Cork, Ireland
Drombeg Stone Circle
Drombeg Stone Circle
360 Reviews
Skibbereen, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip from Galway to Cork area, in a week!

I am worn out already. Galway, Dingle, and Kenmare will be great. I think I' d skip Kinsale and Cashel this time around. Your list of to dos is great but not practical. That's fine, as you always have to play by ear somewhat anyway (weather, energy, etc). A great thing about Ireland is all the choices. Most of all give yourself some time to relax and enjoy the culture.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from Galway to Cork area, in a week!

It looks like a copy of a Tour Bus journey, 2 fresh drivers on a route they know extremely well and the poor clients on the road 9am to 6pm.

I would land myself in hot water if I suggested what I would cut out but I do suggest you change something.

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip from Galway to Cork area, in a week!

Thank you so much for your insight. There is so much to see! I didn't copy from a tour bus, but read many threads on tripadvisor and from people who have been. Not sure why making suggested cuts would land you in hot water, I welcome all advise and recommendations.

I also wonder if it's better to start and end differently. I am happy with the two nights in Galway and Dingle as there seems to be much to do near both spots. Can I do the things near Doolin from my Galway stop?

It is hard not knowing the area and how long to be at a place, or how long to get to the next. I have been on a few sites that give you estimates for travel time, but you can't put on paper what you will find when you get there, love it or not so much. I am worried to love it all and may not get back again, ever.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Upstate NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip from Galway to Cork area, in a week!

I took Kinsale off the itinerary, that leaves me with no planned place to sleep the night of the 30th, and I don't need to be back in Shannon until the night of the 31st. Thoughts, suggestions. Should I keep Cashel in and stay there or will the time be spent near Killarney/Kensale?

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Upstate NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip from Galway to Cork area, in a week!

someone just told me Cashel is under construction. So now looking into heading to Adare and Limerick from the Kenmare/Killarney area enroute to Shannon. Does that make more sense??

Edited: 28 April 2012, 21:35
Mentioned in this post
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Miamisburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip from Galway to Cork area, in a week!

Cashel is under restoration and will be for awhile. I was there last week and it is still very nice and you can take some great pics even with the scaffolding up. I really enjoyed it, but make sure you do the guided tour for the background re: the history of the area

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip from Galway to Cork area, in a week!

How many nights do you have in Kenmare? Its a great base for several day trips. Could you summarize just your latest bases? I'll say it for Tony :-), he'd cut out Dingle. Most love Dingle for the town and the compactness of the peninsula with its number of interesting sites.

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Upstate NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip from Galway to Cork area, in a week!

Beamish12, right now I have 2 nights Galway, 2 nights Dingle, 1 possible in Doolin (not sure if I can hit those spots from Galway, thoughts?) and 1 or 2 nights Kenmare/Killarney area. Still deciding which place we would rather stay. Which should allow me time to get back to Shannon area for the 31st, as we fly to Scotland on June 1. Is a stayover in Limerick doable for an airport run in the morning? Our flight is at 10:45am....Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip from Galway to Cork area, in a week!

My suggestion is 2 nights Galway city (you can easily spend more), 2 nights Dingle town, 2 nights Kenmare (or Killarney if you prefer), and Limerick is very doable the last night. The Beara Peninsula and Killarney National Park are accessible from Kenmare and you can drive the Ring of Kerry from Dingle to Kenmare. Shannon Airport is quite easily accessed but you still want to arrive in the terminal 2.5 hours or more ahead of your flight departure. The AA route planner will give you an idea of drive times but multiply the result time 1.2. Even at that it doesn't take into account the stops you will want to make along the way. www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/Search.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Killarney National Park
Killarney National Park
5,964 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Shannon Airport
Shannon Airport
Shannon, Ireland
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip from Galway to Cork area, in a week!

Hi

We did 10 nights in 2010. Left from Dublin.

However, you could drive these distances

Shannon to Cork 1hr 50 on the N20.

Cork to Kinsale 32 mins on the R600

Kinsale to Kenmare about 2 hours

Kenmare to Dingle 1hr 40 mins

Dingle to Doolin is about 3hrs 30 mins ( and may need a ferry crossing and waiting time) Dingle to Galway City 3hrs 30mins

Doolin to Galway City is 1hr 16 mins

Galway City to Westport (Conemarra) is 1 hr 30 mins

Westport to Cong and then to Galway City is 1hr 50mins.

These are probably direct routes without sights we did a ring around Connemara taking in the quaint little fishing village of roundstone and stayednight in Westport and came back through the opposite way seeing the village of Cong.

I got these driving times from this website.

www2.aaireland.ie/routes_classic/default.asp

You can go out to Doolin for a night from Galway City and back and therefore bypass the ferry and instead head via Limerick and Shannon and see Bunratty Castle if interested.

We actually left Kinsale drove the Ring of Kerry without stopping to see the views but didn't like the road and thought it was the worst we travelled in Ireland but I did see it was under repair then. We also drove the clockwise route which I heard is a nono but we had no problems. We then continued on to Dingle and arrived about 2pm. We had left Kinsale about 8am...far too long a trip and we could have arrived later in the day if we had broken our journey here and there.

Dingle definitely 2nights even 3 as I just loved this peninsular moreso than the Ring of Kerry.

Doolin we bypassed.

This is our trip list and there may be something of interest.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i23209-Part_…

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale