We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Anticlockwise' is the solution! 20-25% less driving

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Topic
'Anticlockwise' is the solution! 20-25% less driving

I understand fully if you all are done with my obsessing. But this seems remarkable to me.

For months I have worked on my Dublin-Athlone-Clifdon-Mayo-east Donegal-west Donegal-Sligo-Galway-Dublin route for our September trip. 17 days, 9 stops, 1300km /800miles /17.5 hrs driving.

Some parts I just couldn't quite get right in this "shoot west to Clifden then loop north in a figure 8" itinerary.

I have just discovered that simplifying the route to a loop with no backtracking makes a world of difference. The moving day drives that were 2-3 hours magically are now 1-2 hours. The1300km/ 800miles/ 17.5 hours route contracts to 980km/ 608miles/13.5 hours. Saves time and petrol while preserving all my stops and sights as well as the same if not more flexibility.

1 Sep - Monaghan! Or Cavan, somewhere towards Derry/Donegal

2-3 Sep - Ramelton. Derry en route, Fanad

3-4 Sep - Ardara. Glenveagh en route. Cliffs, Glencolunkille.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Anticlockwise' is the solution! 20-25% less driving

Oops it got away from me. Ardara should be 4 & 5 Sept.

6-7 Sept - Ballintrillick north of Sligo. Yeats. Knocknarea, visiting, Saturday Sligo markets.

8, 9, 10 Sept - Westport. Louisburgh en route. Croagh Patrick, Museum of Coutry Life

11-12 Sept - open. Clifden/Inishbofin via Connemara is most likely

13-14 Sept - Galway. Saturday markets!

15-16 Sept - Malahide via Clonmacnoise. Last day in Dublin.

Whew. Thats seems so much better. Now to tackle the rebookings...

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Anticlockwise' is the solution! 20-25% less driving

Something on my current active list.. 10 days but could easily be stretched and points added to fill 17 days http://goo.gl/maps/gl8uv

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Anticlockwise' is the solution! 20-25% less driving

Good for you, Celticcook! Tenacious and determined, or what?

It's a great year to visit Co Monaghan. The flags will be flying.

rte.ie/sport/…

By the way, it looks like there's a Canadian invasion of the county during the month of September:

monaghantourism.com/the-gathering-monaghan02…

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Anticlockwise' is the solution! 20-25% less driving

Tony, I already have that map saved, along with your very detailed Connemara map. Good work and VERY helpful. Thanks.

Uasal, yeah, it was like a pebble in my shoe, something wasn't right before. Now it is a smoother route. The distances between moves are short enough now that we can linger and move later in the day, stretching out the time at a stop if we like. And there are good rain day options in each place.

Good for Monaghan. Brewers blue t shirt will play well there. Too bad we are a few weeks early for the bog snorkling championships...

Have found a promising self catering that looks walking distance to Westport : Riverside Cottage. Family farm outbuildling with laundry, wifi and electric blanket. That ticks all my boxes!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Anticlockwise' is the solution! 20-25% less driving

And, maybe have a wander round Westport during the last day of their Food Festival, which runs 6-8 September, 2013:

http://www.westportfoodfestival.ie

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Anticlockwise' is the solution! 20-25% less driving

Could you share the website for planning routes and figuring mileage? I'm still struggling with our plans, too..

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Anticlockwise' is the solution! 20-25% less driving

Google maps https://maps.google.ie/ will give mileage but but add 15% to any times quoted. Route planning software fails to account for junctions slower than the speed limit driving and other human factors. Some people swear by AA routefinder but that uses Google maps anyway,

Edited: 29 July 2013, 17:19
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Anticlockwise' is the solution! 20-25% less driving

Ooooo. Westport Food Festiival. Excelllent!

Obs57, I used AARoadwatch. The estimated times on that site are longer than what Googlemaps gives, but the miles are comparable. I would never rely on the times given if we actually had to be somewhere at a certain time, like to make a ferry or beat sundown or meet someone. I use the sites more to figure relative distance/time and ensure no segments are too long.

Itinerary planning is indeed hard. Beware the creep: "well, we'll be 'so close', lets add a loop to go see..." and before you know it your plan has you running all over.

9. Re: 'Anticlockwise' is the solution! 20-25% less driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 06:18