We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Feedback

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Feedback

My family and I (2 adults, 2 teens) will be heading to Ireland this June and I'd like some feedback on our itinerary. To give some context to our thoughts on the trip: It has been years since either my husband or I have been there, so details of distance and travel time are vague memories. The plan is to see some sights that we are all interested in and to visit the towns/villages/areas of our ancestors. We have a few "must do" items like Cliffs of Moher, the Burren and Ring of Kerry but we like to leave some time for what strikes our fancy or just "being" in a place (this is especially true of going to the places where our ancestors came from.)

Day 1: Arrive late morning into Shannon. Drive toward Killarney. Stay two nights in Killarney or that area. Sightseeing in the area.

Day 2: See ROK, Muckross, or Killarney NP.

Day 3: Drive to Ballyporeen and Cashel. Stay in Cashel.

Day 4: Drive to Rathdowney. Drive to Galway area. Stay in Spiddal for 3 nights.

Day 5 and 6: Explore Galway and Connemara area

Day 7: Drive to County Clare. Stay 3 nights somewhere around Ennis or Ennistymon.

Day 7-9: Explore Burren, Cliffs of Moher, visit Doolin, Ennistymon, Milltown Malbay, Kilfenora, Ballyvaughn, Ennis.

Day 10: Fly out of Shannon

From my research the longest stretches of driving seem to be 2-3 hours. Is this correct? How far is the drive from Ennis to Shannon airport?

Your thoughts and feedback will be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
The Burren
The Burren
669 Reviews
County Clare, Ireland
Cliffs of Moher
Cliffs of Moher
11,200 Reviews
Liscannor, Ireland
Shannon Airport
Shannon Airport
Shannon, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Spiddal
Spiddal
County Galway, Ireland
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
County Clare
County Clare
Ennis
Ennis
County Clare, Ireland
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Feedback

Why Ballyporeen and why Rathdowney? Family connections?

There's no way you will see the ROK in 2/3 hours. For your other journeys use the route planner on www. aaroadwatch.ie and add about 20/25% on if you haven't driven in Ireland in a long time.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Feedback

HarveyIreland - Thanks for the route planner as I hadn't come across that one. It's detailed but easy to use. Yes, Rathdowney and Ballyporeen are part of the family history (as are the towns in Clare except Ennis.)

Mentioned in this post
County Clare
County Clare
Ennis
Ennis
County Clare, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Feedback

I would try to get to the Rock of Cashel as soon as you can as it can get very busy during the day.

If you will be in Spiddal, be sure to hit the little craft village and meet the craft workers -and maybe buy a few bits. Tigh Hughes is best known pub in the village, always a stir on and good music too.

The Irish language soap "Ros na Rún"is shot in the set to your right in the village, if there isn't filming you might be able to have a stroll around.

http://www.rosnarun.com/

Mentioned in this post
Spiddal
Spiddal
County Galway, Ireland
NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Feedback

Ennis to Shannon is 30 minutes tops- assuming you're flying out of Shannon early you shouldn't have to worry about any traffic. We did some nice hiking at Muckross. We did horseback riding at KNP but unless you're experienced riders it's more of a led tour at walking pace and better off skipped. Consider adding Kinvarra to your last leg. We stayed in Northern Clare along the Kinvarra to Doolin route and I think there's more to see there personally. A little closer to the Cliffs. Consider starting the Cliffs at Hagshead or Doolin instead of the visitor's center- I dropped our group at Dollin and parked at Hagshead and met our group about halfway so they could do the whole hike.

Mentioned in this post
Ennis
Ennis
County Clare, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
County Clare
County Clare
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Feedback

stpauligal, maybe you're kin to Ronald Reagen, as his ancestral home is Ballyporeen too....

6. Re: Itinerary Feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 04:19