We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Switzerland from Nendaz

Which Nendaz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pune, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Switzerland from Nendaz

Hi, We are staying in Nendaz last week in May and want to tour major locations during day and come back by night. Is this advisable if we tour Jungfrau? Or will we be short of time to enjoy sights over there?

Aparna

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Switzerland from Nendaz

Hi AparnaRK,

You should be able to easily see Sion, Sierre, Visp, Brig, Zermatt, Saas Fee, and the Lake Geneva region.

There are some big mountains right in your neighborhood, particularly the famous Matterhorn. I think it would be a real crime to travel halfway across the country to see other mountains. I would spend that time exploring and enjoying the mountains that are right on your doorstep!

Here's a link the the tourist website for the town:

www.nendaz.ch/OTNendaz/FHomePageOTNendaz.aspx

so you may be able to find interesting things to do right in the region. I would look under "summer" for a start.

Have fun!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,957 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Switzerland from Nendaz

Provided you take the trains, visitng the Jungfrau is possible in a day from Nendaz. You will need to come back down to Sion, and take the train to Visp, changing there for a train going to Spiez, changing again for Interlaken, then to Lausterbrunnen, and on up to the Jungfrau.

For train information: www.sbb.ch/en

You can get post bus information (as well as lake boats too) from this site.

That said, frankly Nendaz is not the ideal place to stay and take day trips to anywhere but the Valais and the Lake Geneva area (Montreux, Lausanne). So limiting your trips to places like Zermatt, Montreux, Vevey etc makes sense. If you like wine, then Nendaz is an excellent place to be as you can visit the vineyards around Sion, Chamosson, Leytron etc very easily.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Switzerland from Nendaz

There seems to be an ongoing situation of people from the Indian Continent being sold holidays in remote areas of Switzerland. I am open minded to wether this is by purpose or design. Last summer we saw a large number being sent to Torgon is it to be Nendaz this year?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,957 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Switzerland from Nendaz

There have always (at least for the last 10 years) been a lot of Indians who choose Nendaz! It is a nice mountain village, lovely scenery, quite close to Sion and much less expensive than many other resorts in the Valais. AND the communications links are easy. Now Torgon - that would be a problem just getting to the main line train!! The "ligne de Tonkin" doesn't go far - yet!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Switzerland from Nendaz

You would be quite well positioned to get to the nice thermal baths at Saillon (30 minute bus trip from Sion):

www.bainsdesaillon.ch/

Pune, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring Switzerland from Nendaz

Thanks all.

This is our first trip and we chose Nendaz as it was a) we wanted a secluded place to enjoy the sights n sounds of authentic Switzerland and b) it was cheaper. :-)

However lot has been told to us about Jungfrau, Interlaken and Mt Titlis so wanted to see these place as well. The travel companies are amazed that we may not go to these places where most Hindi Films are shot! :-)

We thought (still thinking) of doing day excursions there but don't want to miss all those places you have suggested.

Hmm.. that means back to Square One. Thanks a million for all the help.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,957 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring Switzerland from Nendaz

The Jungfrau region is justifiably famous among tourists but I honestly think that a trip to Zermatt - easy from Nendaz or to Saas Fee would provide you with magnificient sights and would of course not take nearly as much time since both are in the Valais.

If you wanted to take a great day trip on the trains, you could also consider the Glacier Express. Take it from Brig as far as Disentis-Muster in the Grisons, have lunch served at your seat (good food too!) and admire the scenery as you cross from the Valais to Uri and on into the Grisons. Then spend an hour walking around the Monastery at Disentis (5 minutes from the station), and take a local train back to Brig, changing to main line train back to Sion. I once did this very trip with a group of friends and we had a great time, saw a lot of lovely scenery, and a beautiful and very historic abbey church.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Touring Switzerland from Nendaz

I will defer to the local experts as I am just a regular visitor to Nendaz. I don't know if you will have a car, but the drive to Engelberg (Mt. Titlis) which we did at New Year a year ago is about 4 hours (whether you go the long way around by motorway) or through the mountains (although you get to put the car on a train for a rather cool journey through the mountain tunnel at the Furkatunnel). So I suspect that however you go, it will be a lengthy round trip.

And my friends in Engelberg just want to come and see me in Nendaz so they can see the vinyards, try out the thermal baths in Saillon (not to be missed), and visit Montreaux on Lake Geneva. You could do all of that in the time it takes to get to Engleberg.

Whatever you do, enjoy yoursekf - I am asure you will love it.

malaysai
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Touring Switzerland from Nendaz

Great reading.

So for all the above mentioned destinations should we take a train from sion? or a bus

thankyou

LR

malaysai
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Touring Switzerland from Nendaz

One more question please.

would the 8 day swiss pass be ideal for us?we are two and visiting switzerland for just 8 days.

The destinations although would be which are stated above.

hope the pass would be the right choice.

Regards,

LR