We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
374 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads?

Hi

My husband and I will be visiting the Gold Coast

for a quick holiday for 4 nights in mid February. We will be celebrating our Wedding Anniversary. I am trying to decide between Broadbeach and Burleigh Heads. We just want to relax for 4 days, not planning on doing too much. We want to enjoy the sunshine, beaches, restaurants and maybe a little shopping one day. Would probably prefer a quiet location with less people on the beaches. I don't particulary like having to swim between the flags with heaps of kids on body boards banging in to you all the time, not my idea of a relaxing swim! We won't have a car so would like to be walking distance to nice restaurants as don't plan on cooking.

Burleigh Heads looks nice and I like the idea of being close to the Burleigh Heads National Park for walks. This area gets alot of mention for surfing but as we don't surf, is it just as nice for swimming? If we stayed here are there nice eating places as I don't want to have to use the bus alot to get to nice eating places. Don't mind busing one day to Pacific Fair for shopping but thats probably it.

I know we will enjoy our holiday where ever we stay but it would be nice to hear from people who know both areas and get your thoughts. Whats the difference between both places? Cheers

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,048 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads?

See your other post of the same topic:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255337-i929-k2349…

New Zealand
Level Contributor
77 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads?

Hi,

We stayed in Broadbeach this year and absolutely loved it.

Broadbeach: The beach is quite choppy and you have to watch it (life guard senario). Myself, I did not go out further than knee deep and I'm a good swimmer. Hubby was a bit more game but you are restricted to how far you go and must adhere to the conditions board at beach. We have children but I would not say it was packed with kids in your face, did not seem to be overcrowded at all actually.

Cafes are of good quality and its all there on your doorstep, buses, supermarket, mall, Pacific Fair, mono rail to the casio, a really nice deli to name a few things that surround you in that area.

We went to Burleigh Heads, this is more out of the way, only a day trip tho. The beaches admittedly looked much nicer and calmer but to us it seemed out of the way but you may want that. The township was close knit and they seemed to have a good range of cafes etc.

Broadbeach is a really nice modern part of the Coast and personally we would say it is not overcrowded, for all the people that stay there you wonder where they all are (altho you notice the cafes are chocker block).

We had friends stay at Burleigh but they have stayed no where else and they had to drive everywhere, which we cant be bothered with. They did enjoy their stay down that way.

Hope this helps, any more info needed let me know, probably a bit one sided towards Broad beach, but really Burleigh if you want it a bit more peaceful would be for you.

Cheers

New Zealand
Level Contributor
374 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads?

Hi N-Lee-Ann

Thanks so much for your reply, you were very helpful. I think we will go with Broadbeach. I like the sound of Burleigh Heads being quieter but as we are only there for 4 days we don't want to have to drvie anywhere or catch alot of buses. We want to just chill out for a few days with eating places close at hand, so Broadbeach will probably be better suited to use this trip. Thanks again for explaining both places so nicely. Cheers

New Zealand
Level Contributor
77 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads?

Hi Kiwi 07

No problems, I do not think you will be disappointed. Everything is so close to you at Broadbeach for sure. Hope you have a great time.

N Lee-Ann

canterbury
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads?

We stayed at Broadbeach. Great for restaurants, cafes, near the beach, nice park area at the back of the beach. Good shops etc. We did go down to Burleigh Heads and Coolangatta for a day (on the bus). Yes Burleigh Heads looked a nice beach and we did enjoy our walk in the Nat Park, but I don't think it has the variety of reatuarants and shoping that Broadbeach has. I would concur with staying away from Surfers itself - a bit tacky.

6. Re: Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Broadbeach
Recent Conversations