We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time visit to Australia, need your advise..

Kuala Lumpur
7 posts
Save Topic
First Time visit to Australia, need your advise..

Hi, We are 3 adults from Malaysia coming to GC on 15th Aug - 22nd Aug 2009. We have confirmed our accommodation at Tiki Village International at CNR Ferny & Cavill Ave.

Our flight will be arriving in Brisbane airport at 9.45pm. I am not sure whether it would be better for us to rent a car in advance in order for us to drive to GC, as well as for our usage for the rest of the week. The total car rental price for the 8 days is A$601 including full insurance with a zero excess, one way fee for drop off at Coolangatta Airport and the rental of the GPS. Is the price reasonable?

We intend to cover our visit only to the main tourist attraction as this is the first time we pay our visit to Australia. I am just afraid that the rental car may be under usage as most places are easily accessible. However, would appreciate anyone who knows how much is the taxi fare from Brisbane airport to GC at night. Please advise.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time visit to Australia, need your advise..

Hi and welcome to the GC forums.

The price of your rental car seems reasonable to me. Considering a 1 way fee, GPS and $0 excess.

I would keep the rental car as taxis in Australia are quite expensive and it will give you the freedom to explore the area as you see fit.

For more ideas on what to do, check out the Top Questions about Gold Coast at the top right of your screen or:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17748-Attracti…

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time visit to Australia, need your advise..

You can catch the train from Brisbane airport direct to Nerang on the Gold Coast in 1 hour and 30 minutes. Then you can catch a bus or taxi to your hotel in Surfers Paradise. You can find information here: http://www.citytrain.com.au/

In terms of getting to all of the theme parks, public transport is available for them too. Regular local buses travel up and down the coast. Finally, a regularly scheduled coach can take you to Cooloongatta airport. This is probably the cheapest option and you may not need the rental car at all.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time visit to Australia, need your advise..

Catch a train to the Gold Coast with all your luggage at 10.30pm? 1.5 hours journey.

Then a taxi?

I would stick to a hire car.

Add up all your bus fares for 3 adults over a week, and you are not paying too much extra for the convenience.

$200 per person for the hire car is well worth it.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
787 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time visit to Australia, need your advise..

I would suggest you hire a car as there are 3 of you travelling. Having a car will give you more flexibility to travel around. You can drive all the way to Sunshine Coast and along Gold Coast as well.

I also suggest book the car online so that you have the choice to choose the car you want. If you hire upon arrival, you might not be able to have the car of your choice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time visit to Australia, need your advise..

Hire a car - its a easy drive from Brisbane and it gives you extra flexibility to enjoy sightseeing without any restrictions. All roads are well sign posted and if driving outside peak hours the roads are without heavy traffic.

I'm sure BeachBum De for the Gold Coast will confirm what exit number to take from the Motorway into Surfers.

EM.

Kuala Lumpur
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time visit to Australia, need your advise..

Hi, thank you so much for all your replies. It definitely gives me confident over my decision. I have decided to hire a car on line. The car rental company is Redspot Car Rentals. They are giving me Nissan Tiida, which is a small 5 door vehicle @ $601. I have yet to confirm my booking. Is this company reliable?

Do I have to buy any toll card in advance? Or I can pay by cash?

My friend also saying I must go to Sunshine Coast. What is the attraction there?

Aug 15 to 22 is end of winter. Is the weather tolerable? I am shivering when it is 15 degree.

Please advise. Thank you.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time visit to Australia, need your advise..

Hi lifestyle88!

The end of august is generally quite mild in queensland. Expect temperatures between 15 degrees at night to mid-20s during the day. Also, the sinshine coast is beautiful but it will depend on how much time you have as to whether you want to go there. Some attractions include:

Beautiful beaches- try caloundra (bear in mind that gold coast has great beaches as well)

Australia zoo- VERY GOOD. Well worth seeing! Lots of australian animals to see and touch.

Eumundi markets - only on weekends

The big pineapple - big fibreglass pineapple, train ride etc

Philippines
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time visit to Australia, need your advise..

I and my partner will be in goldcoast by mid oct 2009 for 1 week stay . Please assist us on transportation to lamington national park and springbook national park and mt tambourine and the gloworm. We don't intend to drive but will it better to join the day tours to go to the above places.Thanks

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time visit to Australia, need your advise..

Hi Barbeque,

Check out

http://www.hinterlandtours.com.au/

bcl.com.au/goldcoast/goldctours-hinterland.h…

www.gold-coast.net/goldcoasthinterland/

http://www.verygoldcoast.com.au/

Enjoy the beautiful rainforest.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time visit to Australia, need your advise..

Lifestyle I concurr with your decision to hire a car from the airport. I regularly holiday on the GC and hire a car for most of our stay. It gives you plenty of flexibility and you arent tied to public transport. As you travel around the coast you will definitely appreciate this flexibility and independance. You can go when and where you like without having to wait around for buses and there are going to be times and places you want to go where public transport is not convenient.

You ask about your trip from the airport to the GC. A shuttle will cost you $120 and a taxi around $200 plus. ON an average cost of $75 per day for your car you will be at least $45 ahead on day one.

I will very interested in your comments on Tiki Village. I understand that the resort is nearing completion of an upgrade. I have stayed there many times over the years.

Get answers to your questions about Broadbeach
Recent Conversations