We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go Card and general bus advice in Gold coast

Chigwell, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Go Card and general bus advice in Gold coast

I will be staying for 3 weeks (Broadbeach/Surfer Paradise area). I will not have a rental car so will be relying on buses. Is the Go Card open to tourists? If so, is it worth purchasing a card to save you the hassle of finding the individual fare? Are they easily purchased or do you have to visit a bus depot/special outlet? I will check out the website but am keen to know any tips from regular users. Thank you for any advice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
806 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go Card and general bus advice in Gold coast

I am not a regular user, but, yes, the Go Card is available for tourists too because we purchased them (and we are not locals). We just got the Adult Go Cards from the 7-11 shop in Surfers Paradise, but, if you are landing at Gold Coast Airport, you might as well buy them from the Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle Bus counter. That way, you can start using them straight away, like on bus #702 from the Airport. However, there should be a 'where to buy' link on the Translink website for alternative outlets where the Go Card is sold, and also, where you can top them up.

I find the Go Card to be convenient - just swipe on when boarding and swipe off when leaving, or else you pay higher fares. Also, I'm not sure if you're on a budget or not, but, the Go Card was another definite purchase for us because you pay higher bus fares if using cash, and lower bus fares if you use the Go Card ... even though it's for the same trip.

Have a good trip!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go Card and general bus advice in Gold coast

Definately buy a Go-Card. They cost you $5.00 to purchase, then you just load up as much credit as you need.

The ticket prices are at least 20% more if you don't have a go-card. Also they have just launched a new deal, when you make 9 journeys within a week (Monday to Sunday) every journey after the 9th is free. So potentially if you are travelling around a couple of times a day, but the time you get to Thursday your travel might be free.

Please though check out the translink.com website for more information.

Also as a tip: I used to keep the card in my wallet but it gets damaged quite easy, I am on my 3rd card now. It can get a little wet just try not to bend it too sharply.

Ross...

Chigwell, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go Card and general bus advice in Gold coast

Great - thank you for those that took the time to reply it is appreciated. I do like the sound of the savings and the convenience so will try to get one when I go.

Thanks again!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go Card and general bus advice in Gold coast

Hi, i like to check for the "make 9 journeys within a week (Monday to Sunday) every journey after the 9th is free." So this only count on every monday if i use the go card? or for example, if i use the go card on Wed it is still valid still the next Tues for the free 9 journeys?

Edited: 18 July 2012, 01:35
Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Go Card and general bus advice in Gold coast

cacafoo, the period is from Monday to Sunday you need to use your card. Also note thaty if you need to take a bus and train (example would be to go from Surfers to Brisbane) this is one journey even though you are using 2 different types of transport.

For more info

http://translink.com.au/

Oscar

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go Card and general bus advice in Gold coast

thanks Oscar :)

singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Go Card and general bus advice in Gold coast

Would like to know if it is possible to travel to the places of interest like dreamworld, movie world and sea world just taking public transport? What's the frequency of the buses? I am thinking rent a car or just go by public transport. I checked on the website per way seems $6 at least. Hence for 2A1C one way is like $15?

I zm clueless what's the bus fare like eg travelling from south point area to the place of interest . Airport to south point area

singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Go Card and general bus advice in Gold coast

Would like to know if it is possible to travel to the places of interest like dreamworld, movie world and sea world just taking public transport? What's the frequency of the buses? I am thinking rent a car or just go by public transport. I checked on the website per way seems $6 at least. Hence for 2A1C one way is like $15?

I zm clueless what's the bus fare like eg travelling from south point area to the place of interest . Airport to south point area

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
806 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Go Card and general bus advice in Gold coast

keroleen, no worries about public transport. Easy to use if you are going to the theme parks. They run quite regularly in the mornings and become less regular the later you leave, but, I doubt you would be going to the theme parks at 2PM or something like that!

I think you mean Southport. It is not a very convenient location in my opinion, if you rely on public transport. If you have a rental car, there are no problems staying in Southport. If using only public transport, look at Broadbeach, Surfers Paradise, Mermaid Beach and Main Beach.

If you use cash, bus fares to Southport area will be more than $15 (it is more like $21 for 2A1C), but if you use Go Card, it is around $15 for the three of you.

Have a good trip!

singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Go Card and general bus advice in Gold coast

Breath of life, thanks for your input.

Check with u should I get the Go card or the unlimited travelling pass for 7 days. I will be travelling to the theme parks and the mall.

From airport how do I travel to get to sea world resort via public transport?

Get answers to your questions about Broadbeach