We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of food

Leeds, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cost of food

Hi folks :) we are going in April 22nd 2014 could anyone tell me where is the best place to eat out and the cost of food from the supermarket as we are going self catering and would like to keep the cost down and also any other advice would be greatful

Caleta de Fuste...
Destination Expert
for Caleta de Fuste, Fuerteventura
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of food

All the restaurants and bars sell good value food.

Avoid doing your shopping at the Hiperdino Express supermarkets in the resort as they are very expensive.

It's worth doing a big shop at the Padilla Spar supermarket at the Atlantico Shopping Centre or at Mercadona on the Costa de Antigua Industrial estate. If you haven't got a hire car it'll still be worth getting a taxi.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
866 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of food

Good advice

Mercadona is a very good Spanish supermarket chain - they have a different approach from many other supermarkets - for one they treat their employees well. Many of them may speak in English without being asked. Their fruit and vegetables, from our experience, are very fresh. Their fish counter is really good. The prices are mostly really good. In particular there have very good value wines.

Enjoy

scarborough
Level Contributor
6 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of food

i know you are trying to keep your costs down but we have just returned from the and there were quite a few meal deals from the restaurants starting at 6 Euros for a three course meal and there are a lot of restaurants to choose from

London, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of food

6 euros for a 3 course meal..........blimey

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of food

Hi

We have just come back from a SC break, as we have other holidays booked and wanted to get away from the rain we did it as reasonable as possible. We found that the Mercadona was the best for us as it was short walk away from our apartment. The fish, beef (Brazil) was very good and so cheap, 2 steaks 4.75 euros and the fish was also very reasonable. Just at the back of the Mercadona and to the right, is a fruit market this is also very cheap.

The only thing I found very annoying is that Mercadona still make a fuss about walking in with an empty backpack which these days I find very insulting, but put my pride in my pocket. It is very strange to me that people walked in with about 3 empty large shopping bags under their arms, but that's another tale.

To eat out, cheaper to eat steak and chicken than pizza's. There is such a great choice and you can eat extremely well for less than in the UK.

We also did a bit of shopping in Rosario at the big shopping mall Ratonda not sure if that's how you spell it but that was also great prices.

We traveled around the Island on the very good bus service and on the 2nd day bought a Bono ticket which saved us a great deal of money. You buy the card off the driver for 2 euros and load it with,15 euros and then if you want any larger amount it goes up in 5 euros. It can be used more than once on the same journey so my OH and I used it for each journey.

You will have a great time.

regards

PD

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
866 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of food

Thanks for the informative and useful post.

Re taking backpacks into Mercadona, all supermarket chains tend to try to prevent this. You can be asked at the till to show that your shopping bags are empty.

7. Re: Cost of food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 04:34
Get answers to your questions about Caleta de Fuste