We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sol Car Hire/Rent a Car Menorca - Menorca Car Hire

North Yorkshire
1 post
Save Topic
Sol Car Hire/Rent a Car Menorca - Menorca Car Hire

Hi

I am looking to hire a car for two weeks next May but there are so many companies to chose from!! I am looking at one in particular at the moment called Sol Car Hire ant they also trade by Rent a Car Menorca, does anyone have any experience of this company as there do not seem to be any reviews although they say they have been trdaing over 25 years. Maybe that's a good thing?!

Mentioned in this post
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sol Car Hire/Rent a Car Menorca - Menorca Car Hire

This is just general advise.

While it was in the news that in July, Auguest and September there was no cars, the reason for this was a lot of companys downed fleet size.

Most of them require a deposit when you book, but will the companys still be trading next May?

If it was me, I would hold off booking till about 2 weeks before you travel.

May is not very busy, and im sure you will still be able to get a car, without the risk of losing a deposit.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,870 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sol Car Hire/Rent a Car Menorca - Menorca Car Hire

I have NEVER had to pay an advance deposit when booking. We use Owners Cars every year ( here is a link to their terms and conditions http://www.ownerscars.com/rental-conditions.php) and from what I can see they operate very similarly to various other firms - you book online, get a booking confirmation which you take with you when you collect the car (either in the resort office if there is one or the airport) and that is the only time that you have to make a payt - all cancellations or amendments are non chargeable.

The earlier you book the lower the prices will probably be. May is definietley not high season but if you are travelling in the school half term holiday then you will probably be better off prebooking anyway but it is definitely not urgent yet! I would start looking seriously in the New Year and get something booked then if anything better appears closer to the time you can go with that instead and lose nothing!

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sol Car Hire/Rent a Car Menorca - Menorca Car Hire

Sorry to disagree with Magic, but my advice is the same as MReg''s. Book any car ASAP. With the exception of the "January sales" prices for car hire never go down, only up the nearer you get to departure. Last year I got a great deal through Avis's sale and by booking in February I saved over 150 EUR on an 18 day hire (thanks to Caroliner on this forum).

Also the idea that your chosen hire car firm may go bust before you get to the island is scaremongering in my book. If you do like to pre-pay to get a guaranteed rate of exchange then use a credit card and any purchase over £100 will be covered by the credit card guarantee scheme.

There are many brokers who deal with the hire firms on the island where you will get a better rate than going direct. Here's a few:

http://www.carjet.com/

http://www.doyouspain.com/

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/

Or look out for the Jan / Feb sales by major operators such as Avis / Hertz / Owners. etc.

JtheD

Hudds, West...
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sol Car Hire/Rent a Car Menorca - Menorca Car Hire

Hi,

No deposit with www.solcarhire.com

I will feedback afetr my October half term holiday

Cant wait :)

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,870 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sol Car Hire/Rent a Car Menorca - Menorca Car Hire

This is intended for shearer 200 ( and anyone else going out there soon).

Have a look at Jons post re Fornells and the comments on there about restaurant price squeezed - as you have a car I would defo head up Fornells way when you are there in a couple of weeks

Mentioned in this post
Fornells
Fornells
Menorca, Spain
Brighton, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sol Car Hire/Rent a Car Menorca - Menorca Car Hire

Looking at SolMar from a profession side of it I know that when they do not have cars available they say it at the first place.

Ones you have a booking confirmed I do not think that they leave you with out a car. It’s a quite big company with many locations and the time of the year that you are looking to book is not the peak time so you should be ok.

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Menorca
Level Contributor
653 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sol Car Hire/Rent a Car Menorca - Menorca Car Hire

Cazza,

I can recommend Sol Car Hire, they have indeed been trading for 25 years, it's a family run business by an English family that have been on the island for 30 years. They have 2 mechanics and the cars are given a once over before they leave the garage (more than can be said for some of the other larger companies on this island!)

Raff

Madrid
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sol Car Hire/Rent a Car Menorca - Menorca Car Hire

The best prices ist in http://www.booking-centre-online.com

northumberland
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sol Car Hire/Rent a Car Menorca - Menorca Car Hire

Hi,

I have used Carjet in the past and have a car booked through them for May.

They are a broker as has been said before, they use "Owners Cars" who have an office in the aiport. You will find it cheaper going through Carjet than booking direct with Owners Cars.

You dont pre-pay and they are absolutely NO EXTRAS.

We are paying 130 Euros (ish) for 7 days based on a 3dr Corsa with air con.

10. Re: Sol Car Hire/Rent a Car Menorca - Menorca Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Bosch
Recent Conversations